Can't install linux mint stuck on 4th step

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Fiat95
Level 1
Level 1

Can't install linux mint stuck on 4th step

Post by Fiat95 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:08 pm

I am trying to install linux mint onto a computer that was recently crashed, and i am using unetbootin as a live disk
its a 2010 toshiba laptop with dual intel processors that used to run windows seven, but windows has completely crashed
i am trying to install Linux mint 9
every time i try to install from the option on the live disk, i get to the fourth step, where it says this after moving forward
No root file system is defined.
Please correct this from the partitioning menu.
But the partitioning menu is blank. any ideas?

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Can't install linux mint stuck on 4th step

Post by remoulder » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:03 pm

[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

lmintnewb
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lmintnewb » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:12 pm

Might want to better describe what the 4th step is ... Which step, at which point ? Which install option are you choosing ? ie: Install to whole disk, install alongside ... something else = (manually) ? No root filesystem defined likely means you haven't created partitions and choosen one of them to be / (< that means root.) The partition you select to be / is going to be the root partition. aka: Root file system.

You select which partition to use as / at one of the stages in the installer, it's in one of the drop down menu's of gparted.
Last edited by lmintnewb on Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zulfikar
Level 3
Level 3

Post by zulfikar » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:21 pm

"/" that's where root sits and that has to be a partition a mount point.

Fiat95
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Fiat95 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:46 pm

I am trying to install linux v9 and found it works fine on other computers, but when i try to download from the live cd onto the harddrive, i get past the setting up the keyboard step and then i get to a list that says choose an option of partitions, yet there are no options on it.

Return to “Newbie Questions”