hard drives not recognised

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
MintyLiz
Level 1
Level 1

hard drives not recognised

Postby MintyLiz » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:23 pm

i don't know whether this a normal thing on mint or not (i come from ubuntu) but when i plug my hard drives in (WDs, one 500gb and the other one 1T; it doesn't happen with pendrives) they are not recognised. i can hear the sound of the pop up that usually comes to ask open/unmount but the little window doesn't come.
what it's more weird is that going in the media folder i can open the hard drive but then i don't have a way to unmount it.
can someone please help? thanks..

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: hard drives not recognised

Postby remoulder » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:01 pm

I take it these are USB drives? Ok so what version of mint is this and what filesystem is on the drives? When you plug the drives in are they listed in the output of lsusb (in a terminal)?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

MintyLiz
Level 1
Level 1

Postby MintyLiz » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:36 pm

yes they are usb with an nfts filesys.. i've got mint12 32bit.. could you explain how can i check out if they are listed in the output of lsusb?

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Postby remoulder » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:54 pm

MintyLiz wrote:how can i check out if they are listed in the output of lsusb

Open a terminal and enter

Code: Select all

lsusb

You could also try entering

Code: Select all

dmesg | tail -30

just after you plug a drive in and you should see messages relating to this. N.B. you can just copy/paste the commands into the terminal and press enter.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

MintyLiz
Level 1
Level 1

Postby MintyLiz » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:52 pm

i'm really sorry if i reply only now but i've broken my pc, so... my problem was an other one! :-) now i don't have that problem anymore, shall i delete the thread?

Return to “Newbie Questions”