New to Linux and need some guidance

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Deydron22
Level 1
Level 1

New to Linux and need some guidance

Post by Deydron22 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:59 am

Greetings and salutations,
I am an I.T. student at Indian Capital Technology Center and was turned onto Linux and installed Mint Lisa on my laptop to try it out. I have tried a couple different ones and like this one the best so far. The issue that I am having is that I cannot get my wireless card to work, it keeps saying missing firmware, and I don't know where to go or what to do to install/enable the firmware on here. I have a Broadcom Airforce one 54g (BCM4318) and I am at a loss as to how to fix this issue. I want to keep using Linux Mint but I need my wireless. :D

Thanks a bunch,
Deydron22

edwardr
Level 4
Level 4

Re: New to Linux and need some guidance

Post by edwardr » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:21 pm

Connect to the internet using a wired connection. Run the hardware drivers program. Click the Activate button when it tells you thhat you need additional drivers for the wireless card. The program will use the wired connection to download the driver from the internet and install it. You may need to reboot afterwards to enable the wireless card.
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true

mank_in
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mank_in » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:30 pm

LM12 base on ubuntu 11.10 , you can see https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiD ... atty_11.04

I think it will works on another BCM43xx series

Deydron22
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Deydron22 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:41 pm

The only thing I can find on here like that is under systerm settings there is the hardware section and an app that is labled additional hardware. When I run it, it tells me that there is no propietary hardware on my computer. :(

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:48 pm

You can install the card's firmware when connected to wired internet. It's in the software manager, named firmware-b43-installer.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

Deydron22
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Deydron22 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:59 pm

@albertip
Thank you very much. I found it, installed it and no problems. I appreciate it.

Sincerely,
Deydron22

Return to “Newbie Questions”