Mint 12 Shell Extensions on old HW

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
TheRoadrunner
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 12 Shell Extensions on old HW

Postby TheRoadrunner » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:29 pm

I am setting up an old computer in a community, where it will primarily be used by `windows-people`.
I thought Mint with the new Start-menu was a good choice.

The computer in question has an ASUS P5VD2-MX motherboard with VIA P4M890 chipset (no external GPU).

The desktop looks nothing like when running on modern HW, and Shell Extensions under Advanced settings are blank.

Are the shell enhancements so gpu intensive that this is a no-go or are there options to tweak it?

TIA
The Roadrunner

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Mint 12 Shell Extensions on old HW

Postby xenopeek » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:40 pm

I suspect the built-in VIA graphics can't handle the requirements of GNOME 3 (or perhaps you need to add a driver for it). In that case your are pushed to "fallback" mode, which is a much reduced graphical environment.

From the login menu you could choose to run MATE as a session, perhaps that is more suitable (this only works once installed, not from the live session before installing). If your machine has at least 1 GiB of memory, I'd suggest you also have a look at Linux Mint 11 as an alternative. It is quite friendly for people used to Windows IMHO. http://www.linuxmint.com/oldreleases.php

mank_in
Level 6
Level 6

Postby mank_in » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:49 pm

Gnome shell need 3d capable VGA driver. try :

Code: Select all

inxi -Gx

if you see GLX rendered is N/A or software Rasterizer , it will not work with gnome shell
Sorry for my bad English , I am Indonesian.

TheRoadrunner
Level 1
Level 1

Postby TheRoadrunner » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:23 am

Vincent Vermeulen wrote:I suspect the built-in VIA graphics can't handle the requirements of GNOME 3 (or perhaps you need to add a driver for it). In that case your are pushed to "fallback" mode, which is a much reduced graphical environment.

From the login menu you could choose to run MATE as a session, perhaps that is more suitable (this only works once installed, not from the live session before installing). If your machine has at least 1 GiB of memory, I'd suggest you also have a look at Linux Mint 11 as an alternative. It is quite friendly for people used to Windows IMHO. http://www.linuxmint.com/oldreleases.php

I did just that, Linux Mint 11 is a great solution for my old HW.
Thank you Vincent. :)

Return to “Newbie Questions”