Lisa installation error

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zulfikar

Lisa installation error

Post by zulfikar »

Don't know if this actually is an error but I tried Lisa installation with a system having Pear OS in a dual boot mode, after creating the logical partitions for mount points and clicking on continue after the Timezone it gives an error creating ext4 . Actually this had also happened when installing Pear on a multi boot system.

Do you think this is an error with the Ubuntu based distro's ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Lisa installation error

Post by xenopeek »

That sounds unlikely; the forums would be flooded with this if it was the case. I suspect there is some issue with relation to your hardware. How did you manage to solve it for Pear OS?

You may try using GParted from the Live session, to setup and format partitions ahead of starting the installation.
zulfikar

Post by zulfikar »

xenopeek wrote:That sounds unlikely; the forums would be flooded with this if it was the case. I suspect there is some issue with relation to your hardware. How did you manage to solve it for Pear OS?

You may try using GParted from the Live session, to setup and format partitions ahead of starting the installation.
With Pear I had to remove all the other OS's and install it as stand alone, and the same way I installted Lisa some time back.

GParted you mean before starting install I guess ?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

zulfikar wrote:GParted you mean before starting install I guess ?
Yes; from the Live DVD, first run GParted and do the partitioning, and only then start the installer.
zulfikar

Post by zulfikar »

Copy.
zulfikar

Post by zulfikar »

I tried using Gparted in the Live session with Pear Already installed.

Now the problem is it is only allowing Primary partitions and not allowing any extended ones.

It is a 160 GB WD HDD with Pear having the following mount points.

/ 15 GB
/home 5GB
/srv 5GB
/opt 5GB
/var 5GB
/tmp 3GB
Swap 2GB
/boot 100MB.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Well, you already have 8 partitions. So you will have to already have an extended partition. You can only have one extended partition.

You will need to increase the size of your extended partition, so it has free space. In the free space inside the extended partition you can then create new logical partitions. Of which you can have as many as you want.

If in doubt, please share a screenshot of GParted on http://imgbin.org/ and post link here.

BTW Are you running Pear as a webserver? Otherwise, for desktop use, having this separation in partitions of the filesystem is overdoing it (/, /home and swap would suffice for a desktop system; or for full disk encryption add /boot).
zulfikar

Post by zulfikar »

xenopeek wrote:Well, you already have 8 partitions. So you will have to already have an extended partition. You can only have one extended partition.

You will need to increase the size of your extended partition, so it has free space. In the free space inside the extended partition you can then create new logical partitions. Of which you can have as many as you want.

If in doubt, please share a screenshot of GParted on http://imgbin.org/ and post link here.

BTW Are you running Pear as a webserver? Otherwise, for desktop use, having this separation in partitions of the filesystem is overdoing it (/, /home and swap would suffice for a desktop system; or for full disk encryption add /boot).

Hi xenopeek,

The "/" is the primarry partitions and the other ones are "Logical".

I am running Pear as a desktop as opensuse is my server. Ah ok so you mean whatever distro I install in dual boot I try and use the same swap and home , but I always create /var /srv /opt /usr as separate mount points from my old days of linux server setups.

Oops I sorry I included your post too.

Return to “Beginner Questions”