Linux Mint 7 on EEE 701

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
superdome
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint 7 on EEE 701

Post by superdome » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:20 pm

Hi,

I wouldn't class myself as a newb to Linux however I have hit a stumbling block and can't seem to find a resolution on the t'interweb.

I'm trying to run UnetBootin as I want to install Linux 11 LXDE, however when I try to run it I get p7 zip isn't installed, please install or distributions equivalent. So I go into my terminal sudo apt-get install p7zipfull & I'm advised I have unmet dependencies. Then I ran sudo apt-get -f to fix any broken dependencies and it asks me if I wish to install I choose y. Then I get the following error message with code "/usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (100)". :?

My broken dependency is mint-artwork-common, I have tried downloading and installing mint-artwork-common deb file manually yet I'm still experiencing issues. Please can someone help as obviously until I get my dependencies fixed I cannot run UnetBootin correctly & therefore cannot upgrade to Linux Mint 11 LXDE (which I believe should run fine on my EEE701?).

Your help is greatly appreciated :)

Superdome

dwasifar
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Linux Mint 7 on EEE 701

Post by dwasifar » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:48 pm

I apologize if this seems too obvious, but you didn't mention if you tried downloading and installing the p7zip .deb directly.

Try this link: http://linuxhub.net/2009/07/install-7zi ... on-ubuntu/

If that lets you install unetbootin, all is well. If not, then try your install with the apt-get -m option and see if that helps.

If worst came to absolute worst, and you couldn't fix your dependencies, you could install Debian long enough to get unetbootin working on that. You don't need unetbootin to make a bootable Debian USB stick, you just cat the Debian .iso and pipe the output to the usb device at /dev/sdb or whatever. I'm pretty sure it would work for you; I've installed Debian that way on an eeePC 900. But that definitely seems like the long way around.

tomast
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Linux Mint 7 on EEE 701

Post by tomast » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:32 am

I am not sure I understand correctly but by your post title ( Linux Mint 7 on EEE 701 ) I take it to mean you are now running Mint 7 ?
If so you will need to update your sources.list to be able to install anything new.
Try this and see if that helps...

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=74916

Then you should be able to go into Package Manager and install p7zip-full

Return to “Newbie Questions”