Adding Fonts in LibreOffice (SOLVED)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
indiana913

Adding Fonts in LibreOffice (SOLVED)

Post by indiana913 »

I installed "ttf-mscorefonts-installer" from the software manager into my brand new Mint 12 to get Times New Roman for my son for school. The software manager says that the package has been installed, but Times New Roman doesn't show up as a choice in LibreOffice. Thinking that maybe it didn't work, I did a sudo apt-get install ttf-mscorefonts-installer in the terminal and it gives me this:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
ttf-mscorefonts-installer is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 7 not upgraded.

kenton@kenton-Aspire-5253 ~ $ whereis ttf-mscorefonts-installer
ttf-mscorefonts-installer:

So, what else do I need to do to get the installer to put the fonts into LibreOffice? Thanks, guys...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mads

Re: Adding Fonts in LibreOffice

Post by mads »

Try:
sudo apt-get install --reinstall ttf-mscorefonts-installer
indiana913

Re: Adding Fonts in LibreOffice

Post by indiana913 »

Hey, my friend, it worked immediately. Thank you very much.
HoosierJoe

Re: Adding Fonts in LibreOffice (SOLVED)

Post by HoosierJoe »

You guys are the freaking best!

I am an old guy, know only the basics of computers. And even I could do that!

For any other inepts new users like me, this is what I did:

Open Terminal

Cut and paste the phrase our friend above gave us: sudo apt-get install --reinstall ttf-mscorefonts-installer

You will get a license agreement window. Use tab, arrows, and enter to agree. Somewhere in there you have to put in your password when asked for it. Then be patient and wait for all of the scrolling and stuff to get done. The default terminal prompt will come up eventually and that means you are done! Check Libre Writer and your fonts should be there.

Easy. If I can, anyone can.
kaspin

Post by kaspin »

Yes - it works a treat and I now have my favourite comic sans serif - thanks a lot. However, I now have a long list of fonts of which more than half are of no interest to me, and I seem to remember that when using Windows (R.I.P) one of the ways to speed up booting was to delete the fonts you don't need. If the same considerations apply to LMDE (Cinnamon), could someone please explain how to get rid of unwanted fonts.
Thanks again, Kaspin
mads

Post by mads »

Hi kaspin.
The same considerations don't apply to Linux, so there is no need to get rid of unwanted fonts.

Return to “Beginner Questions”