LAPTOP DEAD WHEN USING LINUX

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
je4n78

LAPTOP DEAD WHEN USING LINUX

Post by je4n78 »

Hi master..

I am new in linux though I knew this for a long time ago. I am interested in linux since it's light and having good performance in browsing. I just installed linux for 1 month. I am using both linuxmint 12 and win 7, dualboot. But since last week I got a somewhat serious problem. Here is :

I usually open mozilla and chromium simultanously and watching videos and sometimes opening pdf or libreoffice for some works. The problem is for about some minutes I am working with those, My laptop lenovo G 460 is dead suddenly. I thought it was some dirty in my fan but it wasn't. Then I thought my jobs were too heavy and hard since I installed it without any swap. But if I am using it by only opening mozilla and chromium with only a few tab opened the illness begins again.
What kind of problem I am currently facing master? Then what should I do?

Thank you for your assistance :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
RETNUH

Re: LAPTOP DEAD WHEN USING LINUX

Post by RETNUH »

Does this also happen when you're using Windows? I would check this first as it may be a hardware issue.

Have you changed any of your settings right before your power issues started?

There are a few things you can do to help save battery life. This has some stuff on how to save power.

Edit: you can also try installing "laptop-mode-tools". It is available from the software manager.
Last edited by RETNUH on Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
je4n78

Post by je4n78 »

Luckydog wrote:Does this also happen when you're using Windows? I would check this first as it may be a hardware issue.

Have you changed any of your settings right before your power issues started?

There are a few things you can do to help save battery life. This has some stuff on how to save power.
But it doesn't happen when I run windows 7.
That's the point I am in doubt..
What's wrong with my laptop..
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

I can't say for sure but it would be worth trying to create a swap partition and find out if that's a cause. Having multiple large apps open at the same time eats up memory, especially while opening. You could open system monitor first and watch what happens up until it crashes.
je4n78

Post by je4n78 »

TBABill wrote:I can't say for sure but it would be worth trying to create a swap partition and find out if that's a cause. Having multiple large apps open at the same time eats up memory, especially while opening. You could open system monitor first and watch what happens up until it crashes.
Yes I know it. But I can't create anymore partition cause it meets the maximum partition.
Thank you for the suggestion, I'll try it next time.

Return to “Beginner Questions”