Turn off only one monitor?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
flarecarrot
Level 1
Level 1

Turn off only one monitor?

Postby flarecarrot » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:15 pm

Ok, I figure this has to be a dummy newb question for sure. Here is my setup.. I have a laptop connected with HDMI to a TV so I can watch Hulu and such. Usually, I have the video/audio on one workspace and Skype and whatnot on another. What I want is for my TV to never dim, but to have the laptop screen dim automatically. I am guessing this is not possible, so my second solution was to create a hotkey to turn just the laptop monitor off and on.. I followed some Ubuntu instructions I found but it did not work. Since I've never tried to create launchers or hotkeys before I figure I must be making some newb mistake somewhere. Someone take me by the hand on this please? :3

seppalta
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Turn off only one monitor?

Postby seppalta » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:43 pm

Lxrandr has on-off switch for individual monitors. I have only used it in the LXDE desktop. http://douwil7.100webspace.net/linux/Tuning.html

flarecarrot
Level 1
Level 1

Postby flarecarrot » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:17 am

Thank you, the display controls already have a fairly easy Off/On setting for the individual monitors, although I do notice Lxrandr has settings for the refresh rate that I couldn't find in what already came with Mint (sorry, should have specified I'm using 12). I just wish I knew why I couldn't get a hotkey or launcher to work, if autodimming just one isn't an option.

flarecarrot
Level 1
Level 1

Postby flarecarrot » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:06 pm

Ok, I got something to work with Disper, and I have questions about that but that's for another forum or at least not the quick and easy newbie section.

Thanks again!

Return to “Newbie Questions”