Mint11 - Front panel audio output breaks after updates.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
johnnydotexe
Level 1
Level 1

Mint11 - Front panel audio output breaks after updates.

Postby johnnydotexe » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:44 pm

Just finished installing Mint11 x64 in hopes that the front panel audio output wouldn't break after updates like it did with Mint12 x64...but no luck.

All I have done so far since installing is run update manager and fetched all level 1, 2, and 3 updates. My rear audio output works fine(listening to my youtube channel currently) and my front panel mic input appears to work. It's just the front panel audio out that appears to be broken. It worked fine during and after the Mint11 install same as during and after the Mint12 install. Something in update manager seems to be shutting it off. If I change around settings, or when I log in to linux, I can hear some crackling so the jack is still getting power.

I've run alsamixer and gnome-alsamixer and nothing is muted or turned down. Anyone know how to fix this? My headset cables don't reach the back of my case and I'd hate to spend a fortune at the local radio shack for two extension cables that'll get pinched/tangled/wrecked in a week's time.

Eta: I installed gnome-alsamixer and noticed something. There is FRONT, FRONT MIC, FRONT MIC.

FRONT = My mic, or so it seems.

FRONT MIC = My mic again, but when this isn't muted I can hear myself through my front panel audio output(headset) and rear panel audio output(2.1 speakers). This is the only way I can hear ANYTHING through my headset.

FRONT MIC = Not sure why this shows up twice or what it does, seems like it is a secondary mic volume control.

I am running teamspeak3 and can hear things through my 2.1 speakers and my mic appears to work. Just can't get this darn front panel audio output to do anything ever since I ran update manager. -_-

johnnydotexe
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint11 - Front panel audio output breaks after updates.

Postby johnnydotexe » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:49 am

Anyone? :(

Return to “Newbie Questions”