renaming mounted volumes?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hotshot247

renaming mounted volumes?

Post by hotshot247 »

i don't know if this is a n00b question or not but in the nautilus file manager where you see your hard drives like for example "1TB filesystem", "500GB filesystem", etc, is their a way to change those names to whatever i want just so i know which hard drive is which? i have like 5 hard drives on the same computer and a couple of them are named 500 GB filesystem and i just want to rename it to something like "backups" or something like that. is that possible? thanks for the help
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lahirdenganselamat
Level 4
Level 4

Re: renaming mounted volumes?

Post by lahirdenganselamat »

You can set the partition label using gparted
Bob E

Re: renaming mounted volumes?

Post by Bob E »

If you don't have it already, install gnome-disk-utility. Open it, click on the volume you want to rename, then click unmount. Next, click on "Edit Filesystem Label" and rename it as you like. You will have to do this one at a time for each of your extra drives.

[Click on the thumbnail for a view of how it looks. In this view, I only have one drive, but a separate "Storage" partition.]

Return to “Beginner Questions”