How to set desktop environment?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gael33
Level 4
Level 4

How to set desktop environment?

Post by gael33 »

A week ago I checked out the alternative desktops and decided that my original desktop, Gnome 3, was, and still is my preference. Each time I logged out and used the different desktops for a few days. After I had tried them all, including Cinnamon, whenever I boot or reboot my computer it never boots into Gnome 3. I have to log out and then log back in to get Gnome 3.
Question; How do I fix it so that when I boot / reboot my computer knows I wish to boot into Gnome 3? I guess my experimenting has changed the boot preferences and some script in whatever file tells the computer which desktop environment is / was my default ... please help?

gael.

Linux Mint 12 (Lisa).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Saor Alba Gu Brath
misfitplanet

Re: How to set desktop environment?

Post by misfitplanet »

At the log in prompt, where you choose your desktop, whatever is chose for the last session becomes the default next time you log in. This has been my experience. It sounds logical that you're by default doing this, but I just thought to point it out.

I would research this well before trying anything. I'm not sure if you can get totatlly locked our or not, but sinces it's connected to logging in I would be careful what you try. Maybe experience with a Live Mint CD. Make changes, then log out, then back in.

This may get you going in the right direction:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/62833/ho ... uto-logins
gael33
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How to set desktop environment?

Post by gael33 »

Oscar,

I checked my login setting using (sudo nano /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf) and found that my login users name was different than the original users name I use. I checked the System Settings - User Accounts and found that while setting up VirtualBox a couple of weeks ago, I had inadvertently added another account and forgotten about it. I removed the second (false) account, rebooted and all is back to normal ... WooHoo!

Many thanks,

gael.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Saor Alba Gu Brath

Return to “Beginner Questions”