Please explain applications designed for Desktops

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
travel27
Level 1
Level 1

Please explain applications designed for Desktops

Post by travel27 »

Hello,
I use Linux Mint LXDE 11. I recently found digiKam on the Software Manager. It is "designed" for KDE but seems to run nicely and looks great on LXDE.
Do most applications run on all desktops? If I use digiKam a lot, should I install or find a distro with KDE? I'm not really understanding the concept of "desktop environments".
Thanks!
Kikito
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Please explain applications designed for Desktops

Post by Kikito »

As far as I know, an application that is "designed" to work within a certain DE can just as easily work on any other. The main concern for most people is that when you install such a program (in your case, digikam), the software manager will also download all the required libraries and dependencies that are usually associated with KDE as opposed to LXDE. For KDE applications, I think those will mostly be QT related, since I believe KDE is built on QT. Also, a program designed for KDE or any other DE will probably have a visual style more akin to those that are also.

But yeah, I don't think you should have any problem using digikam. For a long time I used Kate as my text editor under gnome and never had any problems!

Return to “Newbie Questions”