Mint 12

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
hallucigenia
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 12

Postby hallucigenia » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:46 pm

As a long time user of Ubuntu I too find it 's new desktop a bit off, having heard good reports of 'mint' I decided to give it a try, the first download resulted in lots of crashs going back to Ubuntu and checking the hard disk Mint partiation I got the message " this partiation may be faulty 1024 bytes are misplaced" and I could not format this.
So I downloaded a new copy and tried again this time it worked but, Synaptic will not open, in notifications I get Nepomuk indexing agents have been disabled, software manager will open prehaps before closing with no warning.
I cannot get ms fonts to load, no problem in Ubuntu.
Now I have to say I am disapointed as I really like Mint's look, I did install the 'apple' look which may have caused these problems and I have tried to uninstall this but it will not shift.
I only run Linux on my 1tb dual core desktop, runnig win 7 on an old laptop solely to update cameras and the like.
I should be greatfull if someone has an answer to these problems, as I would really like to continue with Mint.
Thanks in advance :?:

seppalta
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mint 12

Postby seppalta » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:13 am

My philosophy for beginners is to install one version back from the latest because most bugs are worked out and there is a wealth of information already developed. Also, I always recommend just doing the default install - the Mint installation program is really good if not tampered with too much. http://douwil7.100webspace.net/linux/Tuning.html

Return to “Newbie Questions”