focus follows mouse

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
No-Thing
Level 1
Level 1

focus follows mouse

Postby No-Thing » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:46 pm

In particular, it probably has its focus policy set to "click to focus." This means that in order for a window to gain focus (become active) you have to click in the window. This is contrary to traditional X windows behavior. If you take my advice and get a 3-button mouse, you will want to set the focus policy to "focus follows mouse". This will make using the text copying feature of X windows much easier to use. You may find it strange at first that windows don't raise to the front when they get focus (you have to click on the title bar to do that), but you will enjoy being able to work on more than one window at once without having the active window obscuring the the other. Try it and give it a fair trial; I think you will like it. You can find this setting in the configuration tools for your window manager.

Could somebody help me do this in Mint? *focus follows mouse*

With love and gratitude - No-Thing

misfitplanet
Level 2
Level 2

Re: focus follows mouse

Postby misfitplanet » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:32 pm

I think you may set this in Main Menu -> CompizConfig Settings Manager -> Window Management -> Window Rules

The bottom entry is no focus. It appears you can add a rule. I'm not sure how you do it, but I think this might be the area to do what you want. I've configured opacity to work in the same way your post mentions above, but not focus.
Maling
I read the books. And learn. I make it work.
Montgomery
Not without this you don't.

- The Island of Dr. Moreau

Return to “Newbie Questions”