no keyboard response

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Nomader
Level 1
Level 1

no keyboard response

Postby Nomader » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:47 pm

I recently installed Mint 12 on an old Dell Inspiron 6000 PC that had been running Windows XP. I wiped the drive and installed Mint as the only OS. The install went very smooth and for the next few days things seemed fine. Then one day I turned on the laptop and the on board keyboard would not work. I could plug in a USB keyboard and use it just fine but there was no response from the onboard keyboard. (I had the same issue with Ubuntu which is why decided to try Mint.) I booted into Recovery and did a repair on all broken packages. After a reload the keyboard worked again. Then after a couple of more reloads the keyboard stopped working again. Another fix of broken packages corrected the issue. Then after a couple more reloads the keyboard stopped working again and now a fix of broken packages will not correct the issue. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: no keyboard response

Postby xenopeek » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:23 pm

Which packages were broken?

And have you installed with US keyboard layout, or did you install with a language layout for your country? The problem is perhaps caused by you having it installed with some other language that isn't well support (or not tested).

Nomader
Level 1
Level 1

Re: no keyboard response

Postby Nomader » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:33 pm

Thanks for your reply. It is installed with the english language keyboard.

Return to “Newbie Questions”