Using Win XP in Linux Mint v 11 platform

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wiremanibew

Using Win XP in Linux Mint v 11 platform

Post by wiremanibew »

Kind of a long post
Have Linux Mint v 11 installed as 'double boot' with Win XP
I have need to use Win XP for programs related to work that are only compatible with Win XP, there are no Linux versions of these programs either
Of course every time I have to 'restart' and go into Win XP be it 5 minutes or 5 hrs I am always getting hit with trojans, viruses etc.
I have installed both Wine and Virtual Box
Wine does not accept any of the programs I need
I have tried to install 'Win XP ' as shown on YouTube and its a no go
Also have tried another YouTube that had me use an ISO of Win XP, which I also could not get to work.
Where can I find a video or simple instructions on how to get Win XP installed within the Linux platform
Also is it correct to say that I can then 'switch' between my normal Linux applications and those that require Win XP
Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Using Win XP in Linux Mint v 11 platform

Post by remoulder »

wiremanibew wrote:Where can I find a video or simple instructions
Googling would have brought up many hits on this, but try http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/virtualbox.
wiremanibew wrote:I can then 'switch' between my normal Linux applications and those that require Win XP
In seamless mode applications running in the virtual machine appear to be on the linux desktop.

It is not a good idea to put email addresses in posts unless you want to receive lots of spam.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Using Win XP in Linux Mint v 11 platform

Post by xenopeek »

This guide is pretty much covering it also, with screenshots step by step: http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/usi ... lbox-linux

It is for an older version of VirtualBox, so it will look a little different but the steps should get you there.

Return to “Beginner Questions”