[HELP] Confuse about hard drive space information

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sir.morbidtourus

[HELP] Confuse about hard drive space information

Post by sir.morbidtourus »

Dear all forum members,

My Isadora is giving me confuse about the hard drive space.
Here I attach a screen capture of my problem...

how can I solve this? because as I see on my screen, there's alot space available to be use..
why is my hard drive space information as I seen on Files System Properties is different on System Monitor?

It become a problem if I want to copy a file with size more than 1,7gb while the space still (much) available as seen on System Monitor

need your help about this...
what should I do to make my hard drive space can be use as much as space that show on System Monitor..

I'm sorry if i'm bothering you guyz about my problem, I'm still very newbie about this..

but many thanks before for those who can help me...

::cheers::
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
seppalta

Re: [HELP] Confuse about hard drive space information

Post by seppalta »

Put

Code: Select all

df -h
into the terminal and press enter on the keyboard. That should get you Used/Available space for all partitions.
tacoz

Post by tacoz »

And... looking at your screen capture, it would seem that you were simply looking at the wrong device(?)
sir.morbidtourus

seppalta wrote:Put

Code: Select all

df -h
into the terminal and press enter on the keyboard. That should get you Used/Available space for all partitions.
thx for your reply... it helps me to see more detail info for space of all partition
tacoz wrote:And... looking at your screen capture, it would seem that you were simply looking at the wrong device(?)
owh.. u're right...
ok, now can I expand my /dev/loop0 drive size?

#StillNeedHelp
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

The first thing you need to do (if you have not already done it) is install Gparted (you will need Gparted to resize the partition). Open Software Manager, type Gparted in the search box, click on the list entry in the search results, and ,when the Gparted entry comes up, click "Install".

When Gparted is installed, use it to get and post a screenshot showing the entire drive containing the partition you want to expand (with the partition highlighted - just click on the partition to highlight it).

Once we have this information it will be much easier to develop a plan and help you.
sir.morbidtourus

Aging Technogeek wrote:The first thing you need to do (if you have not already done it) is install Gparted (you will need Gparted to resize the partition). Open Software Manager, type Gparted in the search box, click on the list entry in the search results, and ,when the Gparted entry comes up, click "Install".

When Gparted is installed, use it to get and post a screenshot showing the entire drive containing the partition you want to expand (with the partition highlighted - just click on the partition to highlight it).

Once we have this information it will be much easier to develop a plan and help you.
Gparted is installed now, after I open the application, it show the information like:

I dont what else to do, can you give me direction or link how to make it available space as remains as show on screen of my Isadora?

the used space of 10gb is my drive of /dev/loop0, now my Isadora always said "Low space available" everytime I try to copy several files into it (this is what happen when I copy files as large as 2gb), because when I check on System Monitor, the remain space available is about 1,7gb of 10gb..

why is it now (as I see on Gparted) available space of my Isadora looks very different than System Monitor?

#NeedHelp

many thx before for your respond...
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

How did you install Isadora? Did you use Mit4Win to install it inside of a Windows installation? This is the only way I can reconcile what I am seeing on the screenshots and what you are saying.

If this is so, I will be of little help. I have never used that installation method and know little about it. I believe that it is either not possible or very difficult to increase the size of a Mint4Win installation, but I may be wrong about that.

I will leave now and hope someone with detailed knowledge of Mint4Win comes to your aid soon.

I have requested help from someone experienced with this type of installation.
Last edited by Aging Technogeek on Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Add comment on help request
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Mint4Win is based on Wubi. For Wubi there is an answer to increasing your virtual disk size: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide#How_d ... l_disks.3F

Some of those solutions *may* work for Mint4Win also, though also I have no experience with Mint4Win.

Return to “Beginner Questions”