LiveCD Won't go much futher than casper?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Bouncer
Level 2
Level 2

LiveCD Won't go much futher than casper?

Post by Bouncer » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:38 pm

So I tried to install Mint 12 on a machine I was given, It starts it automatic booting, then it gets to casper? then it loads the Linux Mint 12 wallpaper, And thats it.

Swapped out RAM, Harddrives, different CD's even another CD Drive. No luck.

tacoz
Level 3
Level 3

Re: LiveCD Won't go much futher than casper?

Post by tacoz » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:28 am

On my Lenovo W500 laptop I initially only got as far as casper loading a blank, black screen. If I recall there was on occasion just a small blinking line cursor on the top left hand corner of the screen. Eventually it dawned on me that the release notes actually hinted a clue... that maybe I needed to address the BIOS. So I did an BIOS update, rebooted and I was genuinely surprised--in hindsight I should have not been so--but there was Mint Live CD doing what it was meant to do!

Bouncer
Level 2
Level 2

Re: LiveCD Won't go much futher than casper?

Post by Bouncer » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:01 pm

My BIOS is up-to-date, I was told it was my graphics card so I bought a new one, Turns out to be a waste of money as I still can't get past what is a wallpaper and a mouse.

Return to “Newbie Questions”