How to install the newer version of Arduino on Mint 10

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
scottjge
Level 4
Level 4

How to install the newer version of Arduino on Mint 10

Post by scottjge »

I am trying to install the newer version of the Arduino IDE on Mint 10 but not having much luck. I googled and followed suggestion of downloading new version and click on arduino but it will not run. I have an older version on the pc now that I got from the repositories but can figure out where to get the new version. I have updated the repositories with 'sudo apt-get' but the newer version still does not exist.

Thank you,
Scotty
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
RETNUH

Re: How to install the newer version of Arduino on Mint 10

Post by RETNUH »

Several things here.
A. "sudo apt-get" doesn't update the repositories. You need to use "sudo apt-get update"
B. The newest version of Arduino may not even be in the repositories yet(I'm not sure). You may need to add PPA or compile it yourself
C What do you mean by "...click on arduino but it will not run."? Did you just download the tarball or what?
scottjge
Level 4
Level 4

Post by scottjge »

Yes, I downloaded the tar ball and it says to extract it to your home directory, then click on the arduino file and it will open and run. Unfortunately, it wasn't that simple. It will not run nor open. It has permission to execute but won't . I am still looking and playing with it, I will figure it out somehow.

Yes, I did a 'sudo apt-get update'.

Thank you for your response,
Scotty
RETNUH

Post by RETNUH »

You probably need to extract the tarball and compile it. Once you've extracted the tarball there should be a "readme" or install" file that tells you how to compile and install it.

Return to “Beginner Questions”