Should I update the kernel?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
wujj123456
Level 1
Level 1

Should I update the kernel?

Post by wujj123456 »

When using Ubuntu, kernel updates appear regularly in Update Manager. I recently found that Mint Update Manager didn't display the recent kernel update (3.0.0-15). Are devs still testing it in Mint? Will it show up in the Update Manager at some point? Thanks.

RETNUH
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Should I update the kernel?

Post by RETNUH »

For the update to show(provided it's there(which i think it should be)) you'll need to enable level 4 and 5 updates.To do this open up the update manager and choose edit>preferences.
We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak. -Albert Einstein

Formerly known as Luckydog.

Looking for me? Check the IRC I've been hanging out there.

colyn
Level 6
Level 6

Post by colyn »

wujj123456 wrote:When using Ubuntu, kernel updates appear regularly in Update Manager. I recently found that Mint Update Manager didn't display the recent kernel update (3.0.0-15). Are devs still testing it in Mint? Will it show up in the Update Manager at some point? Thanks.
Update any kernel showing in update manager reboot then if you want to update to 3.0.0-15 open a terminal and enter

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
then

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
once done reboot

this will update you to 3.0.0-15

wujj123456
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wujj123456 »

Luckydog wrote:For the update to show(provided it's there(which i think it should be)) you'll need to enable level 4 and 5 updates.To do this open up the update manager and choose edit>preferences.
Thanks. That's very helpful. I am a little confused, since Lv5 is tested, but Lv4 is not?
colyn wrote:
wujj123456 wrote:When using Ubuntu, kernel updates appear regularly in Update Manager. I recently found that Mint Update Manager didn't display the recent kernel update (3.0.0-15). Are devs still testing it in Mint? Will it show up in the Update Manager at some point? Thanks.
Update any kernel showing in update manager reboot then if you want to update to 3.0.0-15 open a terminal and enter

sudo apt-get update
then

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
once done reboot

this will update you to 3.0.0-15
Thanks. I know this command, and that's how I found there is a kernel update. :P I am concerned about the stability since I had some problem with new kernels in Ubuntu 11.04. Updates worked fine for years until three month ago, a kernel update in my Ubuntu 11.04 led to some kernel module failure that I didn't know how to fix. (Thus I took the chance to switch to Mint, which works very well. )

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

Generally I'd advice only to upgrade your kernel if this will actually solve a problem you are having. Otherwise, it may just introduce new issues or sudden hardware incompatibility. But I may be a bit on the conservative side with regards to kernels; "don't try to fix it if it ain't broken." In all likelihood it will go fine, but just check that you know how to choose a different kernel to boot if you do run into issues.

Also, the dist-upgrade will install all updates. I'd generally advice you to use the Update Manager instead, and as hinted above make the level 4 and 5 updates visible. There may also be graphics card driver updates you don't want yet...

wujj123456
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wujj123456 »

Vincent Vermeulen wrote:Generally I'd advice only to upgrade your kernel if this will actually solve a problem you are having. Otherwise, it may just introduce new issues or sudden hardware incompatibility. But I may be a bit on the conservative side with regards to kernels; "don't try to fix it if it ain't broken." In all likelihood it will go fine, but just check that you know how to choose a different kernel to boot if you do run into issues.

Also, the dist-upgrade will install all updates. I'd generally advice you to use the Update Manager instead, and as hinted above make the level 4 and 5 updates visible. There may also be graphics card driver updates you don't want yet...
Thank you for the advice. I always update my kernel because I have my ssh server setup, and getting kernel security patches seems to be a good idea...

conslie
Level 4
Level 4

Post by conslie »

Another option is that instead of updating/replacing a Kernel, just add a newer one. This will allow you choose at boot up time to try the newer one or revert to the older one, should problems arise. See: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 85&start=0

Return to “Newbie Questions”