Mint 12 and Wine

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
PiMinto
Level 3
Level 3

Mint 12 and Wine

Post by PiMinto »

I seem to be missing something here. My experience with Wine - I installed Wine under Fedora 16 previously, and it's fairly straightforward - open the wine file manager, navigate to Windows executable, install. In Mint 12, it came with Wine installed and I don't see this file manager. When I click on "install software", it opens a window with a not-very-comprehensive list of software for Windows (presumably apps tried and tested under Wine successfully). How do I install software I already have? Must it be from the terminal?
conslie
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mint 12 and Wine

Post by conslie »

If you have Wine installed, simply double-click any *.exe file. In case that does not work, right-click and "open with wine." You may need to first right-click the *.exe file and examine the Properties. Under the Permissions Tab, check that the "Allow executing the file as a program" box is checked.
RETNUH
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RETNUH »

Also if it doesn't show wine, then you can just use the "enter a custom command" bit by entering the wine path(you can find this with "which wine").
We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak. -Albert Einstein

Formerly known as Luckydog.

Looking for me? Check the IRC I've been hanging out there.
PiMinto
Level 3
Level 3

Post by PiMinto »

Well that's simple enough even for me. Thanks will try later!
Lumikki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lumikki »

I have Mint and Wine installed because one software..

Basicly I used Mints software installer and Installed first Wine. When it's installed it comes it own section to main menu.
After the Wine was installed , I just right click over exe-file with mouse and there is open with program... There is option "Wine Windows Program Loader"
That's it, it installs the software..
Asus P7P55D, i5 750 2.6Ghz, 4GB DDR3, GeForce 750Ti, 80GB Intel SSD, Dell 1600x1200, Dual boot, Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon, Windows 7

Return to “Newbie Questions”