Add a panel for one click launchers?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
kingsthane
Level 1
Level 1

Add a panel for one click launchers?

Post by kingsthane » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:59 am

Have recently switched from ubuntu 10.10 to Mint 12 64bit after ruling out lmde-xfce, lubuntu, debian and ubuntu. I understand, that there is no way yet to add one-click program launchers to the Top Panel. However is there a way to add another panel, into which launchers can then be installed. I've made launchers on the desktop, which can be double clicked to open programs. However I need to bring up the Desktop to the forefront each time to see these launchers. Not very efficient from my standpoint. If possible I'd like an extra useable panel into which I can add one-click launchers for programs such as Firefox, Thunderbird, Skype, Datacrow, Terminal, etc. I'm really quite frustrated with the menu system at the top left corner. Almost ready to go back to trying mint lmde-xfce again. Many thanks.

RETNUH
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Add a panel for one click launchers?

Post by RETNUH » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:45 am

You can't add launchers to the panel in Gnome 3. You can try MATE(a gnome 2 fork), by selecting it from the login screen. You can also try Cinnamon(a Gnome 3 fork developed by the Mint team). You can install it by entering "sudo apt-get install cinnamon-session". You access this from the login screen as well.
We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak. -Albert Einstein

Formerly known as Luckydog.

Looking for me? Check the IRC I've been hanging out there.

kingsthane
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kingsthane » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:46 pm

Thanks Luckydog. I'll try Cinnamon. cheers

Alphonse
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alphonse » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:27 pm

This works in 32 bit Mint 12. Install Cinnamon, In Menu, select Preferences>Cinnamon settings. Select Panel and in Desktop layout, flip the panel to the top. Right clicking on any app in Menu then gives the option to put a one click launcher in the top panel.

caribriz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by caribriz » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:52 pm

Have you thought about installing cairo-dock on Mint 12?

Another way of achieving a similar result???

Maybe you could check this out:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=91003
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/686

caribriz
Desktop: C2D E6400 / Asus P5LD2SE / 2GB ram / Asus GeForce 210 / 320GB (WinXP) & 1TB (Mint - various)
Laptop: Asus A53E-SX1455V - i5 2450M / 4GB ram / Intel HD 3000 / 500GB (Win7/Mint 18.3 Cinnamon)

Return to “Newbie Questions”