Missing menu/task bar

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
oshirowanen

Missing menu/task bar

Post by oshirowanen »

I have been a loyal Ubuntu user for many years and usually stick with LTS releases. However, I can't stand Ubuntu's tablet based Unity interface (even though HUD looks interesting) in newer versions of Ubuntu. In 2013, Ubuntu 10.04 will reach EOL and I don't want to move to Ubuntu 12.04 because of their continued support for a tablet based interface even on a desktop environment... I've been searching for other distros / desktop managers / windows managers and found XFCE and LXDE to be the next best choices as alternatives to gnome 2.

I am now seriously considering doing a clean minimal base command line install of Ubuntu 12.04 when it's released and use either XFCE or LXDE (most likely XFCE), which means I will have a nice little setup which will be supported for 5 years.

However, as I am thinking of making a change, I thought I should atleast give LinuxMint 12 a try especially as cinnamon looks looks really nice, and I light the whole idea behind it, i.e. new technology with the feel of gnome 2 which still allows you to customize it. So I downloaded the livecd without codecs, booted into the livecd without installing. It gets into the desktop, but does not display the menu/task bar at all. I can right click the desktop and go to the desktop settings, but even that has the window border missing.

When using Ubuntu 10.04, I have to boot with the option i915.modeset=1. So I restarted the LinuxMint 12 livecd, pressed tab to edit the grub boot options, entered in i915.modeset=1 and the same thing happened again, i.e. a desktop wallpaper which I can right click on, but no bottom menu/task bar and no window borders.

How do I get around this issue. I would really like to give LinuxMint 12 a try.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
HughT

Re: Missing menu/task bar

Post by HughT »

I had the same problem, but found no answer. I thought perhaps my PC just wasn't up to the job with only 1 Gig of RAM.
oshirowanen

Post by oshirowanen »

What are you using instead on your 1Gb PC?
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

I am now seriously considering doing a clean minimal base command line install of Ubuntu 12.04 when it's released and use either XFCE or LXDE (most likely XFCE), which means I will have a nice little setup which will be supported for 5 years.
You know that Mint has a very nice, customisable LXDE version: http://douwil7.100webspace.net/linux/Tuning.html, which I found preferable to Lubuntu and Ubuntu.
sagirfahmid3

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

The panel not appearing may be because of your graphics card. Are you using integrated graphics or discrete?
The "nomodeset" I noticed is used when people's cards aren't supported.
oshirowanen

Post by oshirowanen »

sagirfahmid3 wrote:The panel not appearing may be because of your graphics card. Are you using integrated graphics or discrete?
I've tried nomodeset and it made no difference. Why is it that i915.modeset=1 works for Ubuntu 11.10 but not for Linux Mint 12? I don't know the difference between integrated graphics and descrete graphics?

If I can't get Linux Mint 12 and above to work with cinammon, I have a backup plan anyway, to use command line Ubuntu 12.04 with 5 year support plus xfce4. I've tried it out on a vm and can get it to look and feel very similar to gnome 2. So it's not too much of a big deal anymore if I can't use Linux Mint 12 and above.
sagirfahmid3 wrote:The panel not appearing may be because of your graphics card. Are you using integrated graphics or discrete?
I really really want to like LXDE, but it just doesn't feel "complete" enough compared to XFCE. Linux Mint 13 with XFCE would have been an option, but I doubt it will have 5 year support like ubuntu 12.04.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Return to “Beginner Questions”