[solved] Failed at the first hurdle, or two.!

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Vimes
Level 1
Level 1

[solved] Failed at the first hurdle, or two.!

Post by Vimes »

Hello

Even though I started with DOS 3 and worked my way through to Windows 7 I felt that time had come to give Linux a try. I'm not sure if I made the appropriate choice with using Mint 12 but I'm here and I want to see what it can offer, so...

I installed the 32 bit version to my HD, after reading a lot about how to manually partition my drive, as a stand alone install. All went well. I update as I thought was needed but then I come to wanting to istall Opera 12.

I download the version I believe is appropriate...

http://snapshot.opera.com/unix/ook_12.00-1272/

(the top one)

...and it downloads a treat. However it simply will not install in the way that I expect it to. It will cause an error when opened with the GDebit package installer and I know no other way of installing it. Another person I have noted had a similar issue but then installed the 11.61 version from the software manager. But I would like the version 12 I have downloaded to install.

I have tried to find this information on how to do this myself but I am just getting more and more confused. I did also attempt to find out why I can't create the equivalent of a Mint shortcut on the desktop but this will have to wait for another day.

My goodness it seems so daunting in trying to get to grips with this.!

Thanks for any help.
Last edited by Vimes on Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sagirfahmid3
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Failed at the first hurdle, or two.!

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

Aha! I had the same questions as you when I first started using Linux (which wasn't long ago tbh. Last year I'd say).
Ok, so lets say you download Firefox from their main site (it doesn't come in DEB format; you don't NEED to install it).
Now you might be thinking "How the heck am I supposed to install this?" Well, you can't. It's extract and use (which is very nice, to me).
Ok, so now you extract the firefox, and to start it up, you double click on "firefox.sh." Easy enough. But if you're like me, you are bothered by the dang popup that comes up whenever you click it and it says "The file is executable. Do you want to run or display the file?" To get rid of this, you can do this. Now, to create a shortcut to something, it's pretty simple.

To make a shortcut, open the terminal, then: ln -s [Target of the file] [Destination of shortcut/name of shortcut]
Example: Lets say I have Opera in the home folder and you want to create a shortcut to desktop, do this "ln -s /home/[username]/Opera/opera.sh /home/[username]/Desktop/OperaBrowser

Now you can do the same thing with Firefox's tar file; follow the same steps. If you want the system to recognize the shortcut, you have to make a link to the /usr/bin/ folder (ex: sudo "ln -s /home/[user]/Opera/opera.sh /usr/bin/")

Some other commands you should know are the move command: mv [Target] [Destination]
The delete command: rm [File]

Hope that helps. I don't know what's with Gdebi, sorry. Using Mint 9, very stable.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

Vimes wrote:It will cause an error when opened with the GDebit package installer
Can you share the errors you are getting in gdebi as it might help to understand the problem. If it was me I'd download the file again ensuring I really did get the 32bit version then double click the file. Can you also share the output (in a terminal) of

Code: Select all

inxi -S
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
Vimes
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Vimes »

Thanks very much for both the replies :)

The first thing that I have done is to download the file again. GDebit will give me the error "Could not open "opera-next_12.00.1272_i386.deb" The package might be corrupted or you are not allowed to open the file. Check the permissions of the file.

Extracting that file to a folder then gives me two extracted folders called USR and DEBIAN. Within USR / bin I see the file opera-next but nothing useful happens when trying to launch that, I get a warning that the file is a executable text file . I see another within the usr / lib opera-next folder called opera-next but nothing happens when double clicked, that one is 18.6mb in size and is termed as application / x-executable .

Running inxi -S at the terminal gives...

inxi -S
System: Host Front Kernel 3.0.0-12-generic i686 (32 bit) Desktop Gnome Distro Linux Mint 12 Lisa

Hope the above helps and thanks for the help so far :)
sagirfahmid3
Level 6
Level 6

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

Are you using Mint Debian edition? I don't know if your pc is 32-bit or 64-bit, but are you installing the correct file for your pc architecture?
Do other DEB files install correctly? (Try installing from Synaptic's repository)
Otherwise, I'd say download the tar.bz file and use Opera (it never fails. I'm certain). Follow the instructions that I gave above (about the links and such).
Vimes
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Vimes »

This is the version that I downloaded...

linuxmint-12-gnome-cd-nocodecs-32bit

I did that as it was the smallest one to download and would give me the chance to try it our "live" to see how I went on before I installed it.
Did I download and install an inappropriate version for the package that I'm trying to install...?
I am now seeing...
Download Linux Mint 12 Lisa and then...
Download Linux Mint Debian

I do use Windows 7 Home Edition 64bit version but AFAIK I should be able to download and run a 32bit OS without issue.

I will need to try the Synaptic's rep. Also I will give that other version of the file a try.

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

Vimes wrote:Extracting that file
You shouldn't be extracting the .deb file, the instructions on the page you downloaded from to extract only apply to the .tar archives.

Ok try opening gdebi as root - hold Alt and press F2 to open a Run box then enter gksu gdebi-gtk and click run. In gdebi try opening the .deb file you downloaded. If you still get an error then it's likely to be the file itself. You could try downloading the generic installer version instead and following the instructions given.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

You could also try installing via the terminal and see if it gives you more output that may point to the error. To do that, and assuming that you downloaded the file to your Desktop:

Code: Select all

cd ~/Desktop
sudo dpkg -i opera-next_12.00.1272_i386.deb
Change the first line to wherever you downloaded the .deb file.
Kernel Linux Tex 4.8.13-1-ARCH (64 bit) xfce , burg
Arch
GTX680 4Gb
OSS4
AMD Phenom II X4 (965BE) @ 3.6 Ghz
8Gb RAM
Vimes
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Vimes »

Thanks again for your help :)

I ended up managing to install it by extracting the tar file one and using that and it worked.
Thanks again for your help, I do appreciate it

For the moment, after spending most of the day reading or watching vids on Mint etc, I have realised that I do not have the time, nor the inclination, to commit as much effort as I would need to do to achieve what I would want as quickly and effortlessly as I can already within either Windows or OSX.

I may come back to Linux one day but it was several years ago when I last dipped my toe in the water and, for me, it seems just as daunting now as it did then.

So thanks again for your help and patience :)

Return to “Newbie Questions”