How do I un-install linux from a dual boot laptop

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gatorade
Level 4
Level 4

How do I un-install linux from a dual boot laptop

Post by gatorade »

If I wanted to un-install linux , do I just pop in the live DVD ? is there an option to un-install?

I wanted to know this just in case I ever run into a situation where it would be necessary to do this. I've always just started over from scratch if I needed to. I'd like to find a way to do this so I can save time in the future.

I usually run a dual boot machine , installing windows first , then loading linux. I was using Mint 10 , but then had some issues with the headphones on my laptop so I started over and switched to mint 11. This was what got me thinking about removing linux and re-installing the newer version.

So, has anyone done this before?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Asus N82JQ
Mint 17.3
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: How do I un-install linux from a dual boot laptop

Post by kyphi »

There are several ways to accomplish what you want. Use Gparted (partition editor) and erase the partition. That will also destroy part of your MBR and if you want to run Windows only you will have to repair your Windows MBR via Windows. You can also reformat the appropriate partition which will erase all data. Don't forget the Disk Utility program in Accessories for reformatting and deleting partitions

If you want to install a later version of LinuxMint you can over-write your previous Mint installation. You will have to run:

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub2
afterwards. If you do a fresh install, a new annotation will be made in the MBR and you will be able to boot either Windows or LinuxMint.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon

Return to “Beginner Questions”