[SOLVED] How to Install *.run File (ATI Driver)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cfsmihai

[SOLVED] How to Install *.run File (ATI Driver)

Post by cfsmihai »

Downloaded this amd-driver-installer-12-1-x86.x86_64.run but I don't know how to install it. Double click opens it with a text editor and it freezes.

I cannot install it and my GPU fan is spinning like crazy all the time!

Read my posts below too!

Thanks.

HELP PLEASE!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lumikki

Re: How to Install *.run File (ATI Driver) ??

Post by Lumikki »

I don't know, but ?

http://ubuntutechnical.wordpress.com/20 ... in-ubuntu/

I do remember doing a lot like this when I tryed same drivers. How ever, I use default drivers now.
Just remember I'm just newbie, don't really know anything.
cfsmihai

Post by cfsmihai »

Thank you again for posting :)

Default drivers for me work too but I want to install the latest, more specific driver.

I will try what you posted, it might just work.
cfsmihai

Post by cfsmihai »

That did not work.

Also bumping out of desperation! please please please please someone help!!

I can't seem to install the official driver, and the driver from the "Aditional Drivers" option in System Settings - ATI/AMD proprietary fglrx graphics driver - is ruining my interface. (see image below)

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/68 ... 07004.png/

File browser is working fine, internet browser is fine. It's just the menu on the bottom right and the 2 bars (top and bottom). Text and some icons.

My only other option there is ATI/AMD proprietary fglrx graphics driver (post-release updates) which gives an error on installation: (ITS A LONG LONG LOG)
cfsmihai

Re: How to Install *.run File (ATI Driver) + Proprietary Pro

Post by cfsmihai »

My GPU Fan is at max speed continuously. It never slows down. With that faulty driver it would spin normally after booting. But how am I supposed to use my computer with a screwed up interface?

HELP PLEASE!
Lumikki

Post by Lumikki »

Right upper corner of screen, near where you logout, there is system manager, behind it is addional drivers.

If you have have broken fglrx drivers. You can unchoose them there in addional drivers.
What will uninstall the current drivers.
colyn

Post by colyn »

cfsmihai wrote:Downloaded this amd-driver-installer-12-1-x86.x86_64.run but I don't know how to install it. Double click opens it with a text editor and it freezes.

Read my posts below too!

Thanks.

HELP PLEASE!
First off uninstall the driver you have installed in extra drivers then reboot.

Open a terminal in the folder you downloaded to and enter

Code: Select all

sudo sh ./name of driver.run
enter the full name of the downloaded driver in place of name of driver.run then follow on screen instructions. I would recommend choosing the automatic install instead of the custom install..
cfsmihai

Post by cfsmihai »

colyn wrote:
cfsmihai wrote:Downloaded this amd-driver-installer-12-1-x86.x86_64.run but I don't know how to install it. Double click opens it with a text editor and it freezes.

Read my posts below too!

Thanks.

HELP PLEASE!
First off uninstall the driver you have installed in extra drivers then reboot.

Open a terminal in the folder you downloaded to and enter

Code: Select all

sudo sh ./name of driver.run
enter the full name of the downloaded driver in place of name of driver.run then follow on screen instructions. I would recommend choosing the automatic install instead of the custom install..

Thank you very very much! It installed and seems to be working ok.

Return to “Beginner Questions”