Making my Pendrive Persistent with Linux Mint 12

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Wistrackson
Level 1
Level 1

Making my Pendrive Persistent with Linux Mint 12

Postby Wistrackson » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:46 am

So I just installed Linux Mint 12 Lisa on my 32GB usb flash drive and I am totally thinking its sweet right now. I boot up and use the live version all the time now however I'd like to make it save all my stuff on the drive. It would be nice if I could boot up and basically have it be like another computer. Two questions.

1.) How do I make linux mint lisa persistent on my pendrive.

2.) Will I lose the versatility of linux mint lisa if I make it persistent. Such as if I take my pendrive to other computers will it still function (mostly) the same.

I've tried to go through the install process and install it on my smaller 8 GB Cruzer. I partitioned the whole Cruzer drive but when I try and continue it says no root file system defined. I double clicked on the re-partitioned part of the drive and it gives me all these options like /boot and stuff. I really don't know what I'm doing it would be really nice if a veteran nerd can help out a novice nerd :).

Bonus Question: How many years away are we from utilizing antimatter and/or a positron reactor for space travel.

KBD47
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Making my Pendrive Persistent with Linux Mint 12

Postby KBD47 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:03 am

If it was me I would do a full install on the pendrive. Just use a live cd or another usb stick with Mint on it, and on the target usb I would put a swap partition then a ext4 partion. During the install process choose 'something else', then point the installer at your target usb, and Make Sure you have it pointed to install grub/boot to your target pindrive and Not the computer hard drive.
That will give you a portable operating system that saves your settings. It's like having an extra hard drive.
KBD47
A bit more info: I use gparted to ready my target stick, you usually put about twice your system ram as swap, then use the rest of the space on the stick for an ext4 partition. During install when you choose 'something else' right click on that ext4 partion you made, add a mount (/) point to install to, and again, install grub to that stick, not your computer hard drive.
Best Wishes.

seppalta
Level 4
Level 4

Postby seppalta » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:59 am

I broke the motherboard hard drive connector on a favourite laptop, so had to find an alternative, which turned out to be a 32 GB pen drive. I just did a regular CD install, letting the installer do the default partitioning. Except I installed the lighter, faster, less troublesome Mint 11 LXDE. I run an extra monitor and a couple of external spin drives without noticing any difference from when I had the operating system on a regular internal hard drive. To make the set-up relatively permanent, I drilled a small hole in the side of the laptop with the hard drive bay. Thus, I can store the pen drive inside the hard drive bay and still connect it to an outside USB with a short 6 inch connector. This connector has to bend into a U-shape to connect, which turned out to be perfect because the tension makes it hard to unplug accidentally.

Wistrackson
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Wistrackson » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:41 am

Ok thanks for your help. Actually I followed your advice and did a full install on my 32GB pendrive. I followed all your advice and used gparted. However the it is running incredibly slow. It took super long to boot up and it takes forever just to open an application whereas when I used the windows installer usbpendrive with only the 4GB file size limit Linux Mint ran much faster and smoother. Any ideas?

KBD47
Level 6
Level 6

Postby KBD47 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:50 am

I have heard that big pen drives like that can run slower. I've had good luck with 16 gig pendrives.
Did you make a swap partition on the pendrive? If so, did you make it big enough? I've heard that it should roughly be about twice the size of your ram, for instance if you have a gig of ram you should create a 2 gig swap file on the pendrive. I made a pendrive once without swap and it ran terribly slow.
KBD47

Wistrackson
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Wistrackson » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:59 pm

I did create a swap partition of 8GB however my RAM on the desktop is 6GB. I figured most laptops I come across that I want to boot up from won't have more than 4GB RAM. What exactly is the purpose for the swap? I still wonder why it runs so much smoother with the FAT32 format and the usbpendrive application.

KBD47
Level 6
Level 6

Postby KBD47 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:30 am

That should be plenty of swap. Other than the size of the pendrive I'm not sure why it is running slow. Maybe run top in a terminal see if something is using too much ram, other than that I don't know :(

spoofmyarp
Level 1
Level 1

Postby spoofmyarp » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:47 pm

AGAIN.

I have the same problem. My stick is a Fluxbox (I think Isadora) and installed with Unet or df dd or something. I DON'T want to install it with "Mint Install". I just want it like it is. And to save all the changes I make. Any guru other than Husse??? Thank u.

Return to “Newbie Questions”