Desktop search for Linux Mint 12 (beagle or tracker)?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jbrendel
Level 1
Level 1

Desktop search for Linux Mint 12 (beagle or tracker)?

Post by jbrendel »

Hello!

I'm looking to run a desktop search solution, such as Beagle or Tracker on my new Linux Mint 12 install. However, there doesn't seem to be anything useful in the repositories. Beagle isn't there at all and tracker seems to perform only an incomplete install.

What is the current state-of-the-art in desktop search for Mint? What is recommended or what works for others out there?

I'm particularly interested in indexing my Evolution emails, as well as flat files on my disk.

If you could give me any hints or recommendations, I would be very grateful.

Thank you very much!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Desktop search for Linux Mint 12 (beagle or tracker)?

Post by remoulder »

[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
jbrendel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jbrendel »

Thank you for your response. But maybe I should have been more clear. I run the Cinnamon desktop, where (I think) I don't have access to the Gnome 3 search functionality. The search bar in the app menu certainly doesn't allow me to search documents or emails.

Also, the information to which you linked is not clear on whether I could search my emails as well and how I would configure this.
Roland
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Roland »

Try Recoll. It is in the repositories.

Return to “Beginner Questions”