lenovo laptop

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
emmetk1
Level 1
Level 1

lenovo laptop

Post by emmetk1 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:00 am

i want to install mint 10 on a lenovo laptop.
will this in anyway effect the existing boot as it has a hidden partition for the windows recovery option as there are some software i need windows for.
the laptop has a broadcom wireless card that i can not change, wont boot with a diferent card.

revdjenk
Level 4
Level 4

Re: lenovo laptop

Post by revdjenk » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:08 am

emmetk1

Hey, glad you are wanting to use LInuxMint!
Some questions ... and some answers ...

Questions
Is there a reason you want to install Mint10 and not the latest Mint12 ?
What Lenovo laptop do you have? (They all install Linux very easily, just curious.)
What Windows do you have?

Answers:
I assume you intend to dual-boot, which means at turning on your computer, you will choose whether to go into Linux or Windows. (I did that for six months in the winter of 2005-2006 before ditching windows completely.)
Since you also did not state what Windows do you have, I will offer a couple of sites which have tutorials on dual-booting, one for win7 and Vista, and another for xp.
Here is a tutorial on installing Linux without interfering with your Windows partitions, especially your hidden recovery partition. Even though it is showing Mint11, it will be similar whether you install 10, 11 or 12. This tutorial is showing Windows 7, but would be similar for Vista. http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2011/06/11/du ... windows-7/

For xp, try this tutorial, http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/dual ... y-easy/599. However, the wording in Mint at the partitioning part will be different. Instead of asking for resizing (as in this tutorial) it will ask if you want to install along side of windows. Same thing. Anyway, you will be shown the partition to change to give space for Mint, and you will see that the recovery partition will not be selected for this.

Hope this all helps ...
God Bless
Doug
Malachi 3:10 NRSV
...says the LORD of hosts... I will not open...windows...for you...

Linux user since 2001 pda; 2006 lappy

wilbobob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wilbobob » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:18 pm

I've just installed Mint 11 on a Lenovo G575. Like you I wanted to avoid loosing the Windows 7 recovery partition, as it was a brand new machine and I wanted to be able to return it to the shop if it all went wrong. I burnt the recovery DVD's just in case before starting. I chose the install alongside windows option, and in the installation process made the partition for mint as big as possible by reducing the space for Windows, and left the recovery and hidden partitions alone. Its all Graphics, no terminal work.
There was no need to worry. It all just worked. I needed to install a package for the graphics driver, but the system told me what I needed.
I'm extremely happy with what I have, and when the next LTS edition comes along I'll use the whole disc and dump the Windows and recovery partitions.
Best of luck with your machine.
Go Steady, but keep going

emmetk1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by emmetk1 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:51 am

it is a lenovo g555. windows 7. i want to use mint 10 because i have a disc on hand. connection too slow to download anything else.
i am using mepis linux on my desk top because the wireless card "worked" right off the bat with it. only distro that did.
mint dosen't even show a wireless card installed.
want to try mint just to see how it works but don't need a lot of hastle to get it to work.

emmetk1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by emmetk1 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:42 am

ok looking at the hd i have 4 partitions.
200 mb oem 158 mb free ntfs /:c 105gb 82gb free ntfs /lenovo 29 gb 28gb free ntfs/ oem14.75 gb 100% free no fs.
why so many? Why the oem with no file system? the 200 mb it probably the recovery file.
i will probably take 20 gb of the 82 for mint 11. will that be enough?

revdjenk
Level 4
Level 4

Post by revdjenk » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:14 pm

emmetk1

sorry for getting back so late.
The recovery partition is most likely the 14.7gb. Since it is 'protected' is probably why no fs is listed.

I would say that using 20gb of the 82 free in c: would be enough, as you can also access your windows partitions to save/load you data too also. That way, if/when you are using windows, you would have access to your data also (since windows cannot read linux partitions.)

God Bless
Doug
Malachi 3:10 NRSV
...says the LORD of hosts... I will not open...windows...for you...

Linux user since 2001 pda; 2006 lappy

Return to “Newbie Questions”