I wish to use Mint but!!!

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
bootneck02
Level 1
Level 1

I wish to use Mint but!!!

Post by bootneck02 »

Hi I would like to ask about Mint, (1) I am using 64bit Windows 7, does Mint run 64 bit (2) I have in the past tried to have dual boot with W 7 using Ubuntu and Mint and they will not load ether from a download or from a CD :?: (3)My PC is a home built unit with the following spec:
System Security Status
Security Benchmark Score
Score
0.63 of 10 (details...)

Virus Protection
OK
Up-to-date

Microsoft Security Updates
Alert!
1 missing

Operating System new – server roles System Model
Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
Install Language: English (United States)
System Locale: English (United Kingdom)
Installed: 11/08/2011 17:41:19 No details available
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
2.33 gigahertz Intel Core2 Quad
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (4 total)
Not hyper-threaded Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5Q DELUXE Rev 1.xx
Serial Number: MS1C88B82802678
Bus Clock: 333 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 1201 08/05/2008
new USB Storage Use in past 30 Days (mouse over last used for details) new Hosted Virtual Machines (mouse over name for details)
Last Used
Seagate Desktop -- drive 3, s/n 2GHK9SQZ, rev 0130 10/02/2012 18:06:43
SAMSUNG HD103UJ -- drive 2, s/n FAFFFFF0FDF13FF1FF500103 10/02/2012 18:06:41
Hitachi HTS545050B9A300, s/n 251201010271086F 06/02/2012 23:46:05*

* Possibly used again before the reboot following this time.
None discovered
Drives new – drive encryption Memory Modules c,d
5000.99 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
3978.22 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

ATAPI iHOS104 ATA Device [Optical drive]
Optiarc DVD RW AD-7263S ATA Device [Optical drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

SAMSUNG HD103UJ USB Device [Hard drive] (1000.20 GB) -- drive 2, s/n , SMART Status: Healthy
SAMSUNG HD154UI [Hard drive] (1500.30 GB) -- drive 1, s/n S1XWJ1BSC02429, rev 1AG01118, SMART Status: Healthy
SAMSUNG HD154UI [Hard drive] (1500.30 GB) -- drive 0, s/n S1Y6J9BS807595, rev 1AG01118, SMART Status: Healthy
Seagate Desktop USB D

Will this PC run Mint? (4) Are there drivers available for my all my hardware.

I am fed up with financing Microsoft when there are other OS out there but would want to dual boot as I do not want to lose the the files on W 7 OS. Sorry about all the questions but I have only used Microsoft products up to now, Thanks for any answers in advanced :D

HughT
Level 5
Level 5

Re: I wish to use Mint but!!!

Post by HughT »

hi bootneck02, welcome to Mint.
1 - Yes, see the download page. Go for the Main Edition 64bit DVD version. But you might consider starting with Mint 11 (Katya) first (see 'all versions'). I think it's a bit easier to understand, and being a little older has more answers available in this forum.
2 - Installing from a CD / DVD is the normal method. Can you be a bit more specific about the problems you encountered? Were you trying to install it from Windows?
3 - You can check the compatability here - http://community.linuxmint.com/hardware
4 - Drivers are most likely included already - check the hardware compatability page.
Many people use a dual boot system and this can be easily achieved during the installation.
Note:
Forum Rules There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it.
Please Edit your post title and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

conslie
Level 4
Level 4

Post by conslie »

Reading through this guide should be a helpful first step http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/ ... h_11.0.pdf. It is for LM 11, but it will generally apply to other editions as well, less so to LM 12 which uses a new and rather different desktop based on Gnome 3. LM 12 KDE might be another to take a look at.

kherring7383
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kherring7383 »

Sounds like you have more than enough resources to run Mint. However there is one little nasty thing about installing Mint or Ubuntu if Windows is already installed. It seems that during the process, Mint/Ubuntu will over write the boot sector causing Windows not to boot when selected. The bottom line is that if you do install Mint you will most likely have to repair the Windows boot sector. There is plenty of info online that explains how to do this.

If this is something that you want to avoid but still wish to try Mint any way, then install Virtualbox 64 bit for Windows and then you can install any operating system you want as a virtual machine without the fear of crashing you Windows setup. If Virtualbox is what you go with, I would like to suggest version 4.1.6 and not 4.1.8. Version 4.1.8 has bug that grays out the ability to enable 3D support which you'll need to run the Gnome Shell.
Version 4.1.6 however should be just fine. Give it a try, after all you can always remove Virtualbox if it doesn't work out.

If you want to start fresh, install Mint first, get it up and running you way you want, then install Windows as you're dual boot OS.

Good Luck.

HughT
Level 5
Level 5

Post by HughT »

If you just want to see what Mint looks like, check that it works on your PC, and take it for a quick test run - all without changing anything on your computer - you can just run it from the CD / DVD drive. Just put the CD in the drawer before Windows starts, and it'll run from there. I'm sorry to dis-agree with kherring7383 on which to install first. It's recommended to install Windows first and then Mint second. Mint will indeed overwrite the master boot record on the disk with its own. BUT your new mbr created by Mint will give you the option to start either Windows or Mint. If you install Windows last then it will overwrite the mbr and won't give you that option. Nor is it normally necessary to repair the mbr after installing Mint.
I notice you have more than one hard drive. You could install Mint and windows on different drives, and select the one to use at start-up from the BIOS.
You haven't mentioned what your previous install problems were.
Please Edit your post title and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu »

bootneck02 wrote:Hi I would like to ask about Mint, (1) I am using 64bit Windows 7, does Mint run 64 bit (2) I have in the past tried to have dual boot with W 7 using Ubuntu and Mint and they will not load ether from a download or from a CD :?:
...Will this PC run Mint? (4) Are there drivers available for my all my hardware.
does Mint run 64 bit (2)..
Are there drivers available for my all my hardware

Don't know, but..
  • Obviously Yes, provided they work well and you have installed such drivers: their would only be a few critical ones, mainly graphics or network cards
The easiest way to find out is install it
  • Make a small install partition for Linux in unallocated space (free space) that you produce using your windows partition editor
    --that is shrink windows by approx 10GB (plenty to install Linux)
  • Install the Linux OS into that partition
    --if windows no longer boots, you should check on the internet how to fix that, depends on which bootloader you use (windows or Grub2 (Linux))
http://apcmag.com/the_definitive_dualbo ... bystep.htm
--you can look on these forums about boot issues with your windows version + Linux, after a Linux install or how to prevent such a problem

mintnewbie63
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mintnewbie63 »

Hi bootneck02, I will also agree with everything HughT has written on his post: 1) strickly recomended to install any Linux OS second, that means that since you already have windows 7 installed all you have to do is just install the Linux OS of your choice, this happens because windows cannot read Linux so it will not show it on Grub, as for the Master Boot Record if you have a problem with that not showing windows when you boot then you simply boot on the Linux OS (MINT, UBUNTU) open up a terminal from accessories and write on it "sudo update -grub" it will ask you for your password and then it will update the grub, once it finishes reboot and you will have windows added to your grub, 2) Due to what you write about your previous attemts to install Mint or Ubuntu (tried to have dual boot with W 7 using Ubuntu and Mint and they will not load ether from a download or from a CD) I asume that you don't know the proper procedure to install an OS on your pc and thats because you have not told us what procedure you followed step by step to do this, so I will write some info here for you: 1) you cannot install from downloads or from cd, a cd is too small for Mint, you have to burn the iso image you downloaded on a DVD, and I mean BURN not copy by using a burning application in windows I think you have 'Nero' make sure that you click the 'burn iso image' button, that will create a bootable iso image on the DVD, after this you have to reboot and as soon your pc switches on you hit the F2 or Delete button on your keyboard this will take you to your 'Bios' you will see a few tabs on the top of the window ( 'menu' 'advance'...) click on the 'boot' tab that will show you the boot options make sure that your DVD optical drive is first or on top of all other, to move it use the arrows on the keyboard do the same for usb flash drive and put it second, hardrive third as for the rest let them as they are, then click the 'Esc' button on the keyboard and then the 'Exit' button on the window, a smaller window will open and it will ask you to save the changes you made and exit the 'bios' select 'yes' and hit the 'enter' button on the keybord, this means simply that your pc when it turns on it will check the DVD first and if you have a dvd live image it will boot from that if you don't it will check the usb ports to do the same and then it will go to the hardrive, turn off your pc and turn it back on open the DVD tray put the disk on it close it and wait for it to boot, when it does you will be on the live session check it out if you like Mint then click the install icon and follow the promts, I hope this will solve your 'install' problems, if you have anymore issues feel free to post them and we will try to help as much as we can.
:Linux is ridding on a flying boxing kangaroo and taking the world by storm : motherboard ASUS M3A78-EMH HDMI, cpu AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200, harddrive WD 320Gb, ram Kingston 1gb X2 DDR2, ATI 3200 chipset, graphics card ASUS EAH3450,

Return to “Newbie Questions”