Is It OK TO Install KDE apps. In Gnome Distro? [Solved]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
embra55

Is It OK TO Install KDE apps. In Gnome Distro? [Solved]

Post by embra55 »

Hi there,
As I've had a lot of trouble with installing any Gnome based distro on my Desktop PC lately, and finally managing, last night, to get Mint 12 Lisa (Gnome) installed without any problems, I was wondering if it would be wise to install KDE apps into Mint, and not cause any major headaches. I don't really want to put them in if at some point along the line I end up breaking my system.
So the question is install KDE apps in Gnome, or don't install KDE apps in Gnome.
Look forward to somebody's advice, and off thanks in advance.
Thank you,
embra55
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Rua
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Is It OK TO Install KDE apps. In Gnome Distro?

Post by Rua »

I think it would be fine to do that. KDE applications work in Gnome because the only difference is that they depend on the KDE infrastructure (such as the Qt library). Gnome does not provide that, but both Gnome and KDE are built on top of the X window system which is the same no matter what you use. Try installing a small KDE application to see what happens, and especially what other packages are required when you try to install it. You'll see that those packages are part of KDE but they are downloaded as needed and will work fine alongside Gnome.
embra55

Re: Is It OK TO Install KDE apps. In Gnome Distro? [Solved]

Post by embra55 »

Hi rua,
Thanks for that, that's all I wanted to know. Didn't want to break my system. As a matter of interest, its KPat, the card games, and the disc burner K3B I'm going to put in.
I'll mark this solved.
Thank you,
embra55
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Is It OK TO Install KDE apps. In Gnome Distro? [Solved]

Post by chiefjim »

Absolutely. My hybrid system has Kmymoney, K3b, Korganizer, Kover, and K9Copy running
Mint-21.0 Mate 64 bit / LMDE-5 64 bit
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 32GB DDR4 2400
8TB HDD Seagate Baracuda 5400rpm

Return to “Beginner Questions”