Replacing another Linux Distro with Mint

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
eyjay1991

Replacing another Linux Distro with Mint

Post by eyjay1991 »

Hello, I'm a Windows User and wanted to TRY the LINUX OS. I've installed Fedora 16 but its utterly slow in terms of Wifi Internet Connection. The Loading in Pages is slow. In the status bar, it sometimes tell looking up <site>. and also when installing programs via the Add/Remove Software, its speed is 5kb - 10kb! My connection can download atmost 90kbps, with atleast 40kbps if lines are busy. Its just too slow. So right now i'm download linux mint 12 cd version. My questions are :

1. Can i just replaced Fedora (And GRUB) with Mint via it's installer? Is there like REPLACE LINUX SYSTEM?
2. After installation since I'm using CD Version. Can u guide me there in the POST INSTALLATION? Like where to get codecs for mp3's like that, java, flash, etc.
3. My MUST APPLICATIONS are the following : WAMP, Photoshop & Dreamweaver. I have a project in School where we need to build a website. So this is a MUST since i'm gonna start building this week. I've seen LAMP, GIMP, How about Dreamweaver? I'm not really pro in this thing. Just starting to learn.
4. In windows, I'm kinda guy who like to tweak its desktop, make it more attractive in a sense that its accessible to (Rocketdock :D). So how is it done here? Changing themes, those shells. Like that.

Hope to have a lightning fast answer. =D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
chipbuster

Re: Replacing another Linux Distro with Mint

Post by chipbuster »

To replace the linux system, simply install Mint on the same partition where Fedora was. It'll overwrite everything.

As for codecs and whatnot, most of those are included in the Mint install. Welcome to the upsides of a user-friendly distro :) I can play *almost* all media files with Mint out of the box (not sure where to go for the rest, since the one it couldn't was a file format that isn't recognized by any program I have)

You nailed it on the head with LAMPs and GIMP. GIMP is pretty much just as powerful as Photoshop, but unfortunately, a lot of its power is contained in plugins and in menus different than what you find in Photoshop. There's definitely a learning curve, from what I've seen. Here's a list of quickfixes to get GIMP looking and working like PS, but there's going to be an adjustment either way. Afraid I can't help much more than that, I'm not a huge user myself (the opinion of GIMPs power comes from an artist friend).

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009/04 ... photoshop/

----------------
As for Dreamweaver....you're going to have to do some googling around, I'm afraid :\ Just punch in "Dreamweaver for Linux" or "Dreamweaver Linux alternatives" and see if anyone has any suggestions.

-----------------

Tweaking the UI will depend on what version you're installing. Xfce, GNOME, and KDE all use different themes. If you tell us what you're using and what you want to change, we might be able to point you to the appropriate sites (they have entire websites full of various splashes and themes).

The page at linuxlibrary.org has a pretty decent collection of customizations you can use (the link isn't only eyecandy; there's a few programs in the list as well. Just ignore em)

http://linuxlibrary.org/category/desktop/
eyjay1991

Post by eyjay1991 »

Thanks for the brief answer. :lol:

I'm using the CD Version not the DVD Version so i think there are no codecs for it. Is there a Post Installation Script that is easy to use? In fedora its YUM, what does Mint uses?
Also how is the Wifi Connection of Mint? In Fedora my connections is intermittent, slow also.
chipbuster

Post by chipbuster »

If that's the case, simply update and upgrade after you're done installing. It *should* pull everything for you. If not, do some poking around--I'm sure a big distro like Mint will have solutions for codecs. Unfortunately, there's no one central help center for Linux, since its more of a community, but a quick google search will sometimes turn up some quick solutions. If it doesn't, or you don't understand them, well, that's what forums are for :)

I'd recommend updating through the GUI, since its basically a one-click deal. When you start Mint, there should be an icon in the lower right telling you you need to update (look for something with an exclamation mark on it and click there. The rest is simple).

Mint use a utility called apt. The generic form for installing a package is "sudo apt-get install [packagename]" where [packagename] is something like firefox or skype.

As for wireless, you're going to have to wait and see. Sometimes slow or intermittent wireless is caused by bad drivers. See if upgrading to the latest version of Mint gives you good wireless speed. If not, we'll see what we can do.
eyjay1991

Post by eyjay1991 »

Im on Mint Live USB. It connects fast! I went to youtube it loads a video, so it think i have flash, but when i go to speedtest.net, it needs Flash 10 or newer, so how to update? :). Gonna install now. Also, can i remove the top bar? Maybe? :)

Ok, im confuse now, what choices i need to do here. I'm afraid if i mess up, the GRUB will be corrupted, so can't boot to Win7. My plan is choose SOMETHING ELSE. Then, delete the sda5. I want to have a partition of my data like in windows. How can i do that?

Image Image
Last edited by eyjay1991 on Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
chipbuster

Post by chipbuster »

What version are you on? Xfce or GNOME or KDE? Gonna be hard to help you with interface stuff until we know. If you don't know, you can always try right-clicking in a blank spot on the bar and seeing if you get any options, but that might not go so well xD

When you install and upgrade, it should automatically install the newest Flash. Let us know if it doesn't.

And make sure to install over your Fedora instead of over your Windows. :)
eyjay1991

Post by eyjay1991 »

Right now that is my problem :). Please help. (:

Yes, i have flash, this is via Live USB, but can't open the speedtest.com
chipbuster

Post by chipbuster »

I'm not sure if you can install that on a livedisk, to be honest :( The flash on the LiveUSB may be outdated.

Have you tried any other speed testing services? I can tell you that once everything is upgraded, you can open speedtest.net without a hitch.
eyjay1991

Post by eyjay1991 »

Im on Linux Mint now :). Just Google some guides. My partitions are 10GB Root or "/", 4GB Swap (I have only 2GB System Memory) and 60GB /home. It's good? I think i need to upgrade to DVD Version. Currently installing some updates. I like MINT now :).
chipbuster

Post by chipbuster »

I was about to flip out over the 10GB root and then I saw the 60 GB /home partition. Impressive, most new installers have no idea that you can do that.

There's really no difference between the CD and DVD versions once they're fully upgraded from the internet. One can simply hold more to start out with (imagine filling a pool with a firehose: even if one starts out half full, they both end up at the same spot in the end).

Go ahead and install the full update packs. You might end up getting a bunch of new stuff. I'm personally on the Debian edition Mint, so I can't say for sure what updates there are.
eyjay1991

Post by eyjay1991 »

I'm used to partitioning in Windows so I have some basic concepts :D. What are the changes in these Main Edition and the Debian One?. Well i think the DVD Version, has GIMP, VLC and codecs? Thats what i need at the basic level. This is GNOME3 with a twist right? It's Desktop Environment. The Top Bar, can i remove it? :D. Also some guides are telling to customize the desktop. Press Menu and Go To PREFERENCES. But I can't see PREFERENCES. Maybe in Mint 11?

P.S.

Are you familiar with CINNAMON?
chipbuster

Post by chipbuster »

No experience with cinnamon xD

To delete the top panel, try just right clicking on it in a blank spot. You might get lucky and get a "delete this panel" option in the menu that pops up (similar to right-clicking the taskbar in windows: you want to do it where there isn't something taking up the spot).

To get VLC and GIMP, you can look for it in the Software Manager (look in the menu) or you can open up a terminal with CTRL+ALT+T and type the following commands:

sudo apt-get install vlc
sudo apt-get install gimp

and you'll have VLC and GIMP :)

Debian edition is based off of a Debian core, instead of an Ubuntu core. It's a bit of a moot point, since Debian is based off of Ubuntu, but it basically means that Debian Edition has slightly more hardware support and doesn't have to be upgraded every 6 months, and it has a higher chance of breaking (so requires just a bit more expertise).
eyjay1991

Post by eyjay1991 »

I see. Right now got audio codecs. Gonna install LAMP, GIMP, and VLC. There is no "delete this panel" though. On Gnome3?
chipbuster

Post by chipbuster »

Ugh, bummer. I'm using a GNOME3 interface (I think) but the menus change depending on exactly how they're laid otu. Once you're done updating, do some poking around in the system settings. I'm sure it'll be there somewhere.

You could also just fill it the top bar up with useful stuff. I've found that putting my start menu, clock, and system tray up there allow me to keep a TON of windows open on the lower bar and still not have issues seeing them (I can open up about 15-16 windows per workspace and still be able to read what the titles are). It's a bit of a tradeoff; see what you like.
eyjay1991

Post by eyjay1991 »

I've done setting up codecs, vlc and GIMP, just LAMP left and i'm good to go. In system settings there is no Preferences Menu where they could edit the Menu, All the guides are for Mint 11 where Gnome2 still. :x
chipbuster

Post by chipbuster »

coolsies. Just a heads-up, a LAMP is a bundle of programs that come together. You might have to go looking a bit to find one.

Seriously, for the menus, just wait until you're done, download some customizations, and do a once-through on every single setting for GNOME. There aren't that many, you'll find the place where you can kill the menu bar (I believe ther are referred to as panels in Linux desktops), and you'll be able to customize your looks while you do it. As much as I love the default Mint look, it gets a little tiring after a while.
eyjay1991

Post by eyjay1991 »

I was having a hard time in download Libre Office, i never though OpenOffice is dead now? o.O.
Anyway, i was just grabbing luck when i type in the terminal "sudo apt-get openoffice.com", and boom! it works :). But the problem is, where are the installation files stored? Example in the future, i will Upgrade, what happen to my files in the /home?
chipbuster

Post by chipbuster »

hey hey, you're getting the hang of the command line :) I belive libreoffice is just named libreoffice, but I could be wrong :\
(Afterthought: Isn't LibreOffice supposed to be pre-installed in Mint? Check your programs)

The apt-get tool downloads a set of binary files. I believe you can find them in /usr/bin/[yourprogamname]. These are the "executables" of Linux--when you run them, the program runs. They're kept there until you decide to upgrade them. Say that a new version of firefox comes around before you upgrade the OS. You can simply tell the package manager to update, or you can use the update/upgrade tools from apt-get ("sudo apt-get update" to get updates, "sudo apt-get upgrade" to install them). APT will automatically rip out the old files from /usr/bin (and the corresponding library files in /usr/lib) and replace them with the new ones. You never have to worry about uninstalling and reinstalling.

As for system updates...welp, that's something I moved away from Ubuntu to avoid dealing with :<

The standard Ubuntu (Mint is built over Ubuntu) update system gives you the option to either replace the existing OS or to update it. Unfortunately, I've heard stories where the update breaks the currently installed system and you have to reinstall from scratch. Fortunately, this shouldn't be an issue with the 11.10 to 12.04 update, since it's supposed to be a small change. No guarantees though.

If the update does break your system...well, this is why we recommend a separate home partition. You can just tell the installer to install to the old system partition and keep your home partition the same. That way, you'll still have all the files, and a brand spanking new system.

Return to “Beginner Questions”