gnomebaker

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
thomas58

gnomebaker

Post by thomas58 »

hi guys.
anyone tell me how to
install gnomebaker??

tam
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: gnomebaker

Post by xenopeek »

Open the Software Manager, search for gnomebaker, click install.

Or run:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install gnomebaker
thomas58

Post by thomas58 »

hi vincent.
thank you for the reply.
i tried the sudo install and got this

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package gnomebaker is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'gnomebaker' has no installation candidate
also tried s/m,that couldn't find it.

tam.
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

If you are using LM12 , you can add ppa:gnomebaker/stable

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gnomebaker/stable
sudo apt-get update
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Wow. Gnomebaker has been removed from Debian and Ubuntu :shock: (https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/oneiric/+s ... 4-1ubuntu1) It sounds like it might be better to look for an alternative... Brasero has never been able to successfully burn a CD for me, so I'm looking at Xfburn as an alternative now. K3b is another frequently named alternative, but I don't want to pull in all the KDE dependencies just to burn a CD 8)
k357k9
Level 4
Level 4

Post by k357k9 »

Gnomebaker was great for burning ISOs at slow speeds. Why did they drop it?

I switched to Xfburn and it has been good.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

I use anything that works
--I think the one I had jumped from was Brasero under Mint 8x or so..

I did switch to xfburn when there had been a problem with a standard library selection used by other cd/dvd writer software; but I am not so sure I like the cd RW feature setup (multi-session control, not even sure it is there..) in xfburn
--I might go back to another cd/dvd writer program with more features, but it doesn't have to be Gnome based or kde based: I would prefer program based only, not dependent on any particular desktop apart from the underlying library development style such as QT..
http://www.linoob.com/2010/04/cddvd-burning-tools/

I also usually burn at MAX rate, and for the most part have only a few coasters: if I am worried I used a CDRW media and get the 4x speed for burning..
k357k9
Level 4
Level 4

Post by k357k9 »

@DrHu
I also usually burn at MAX rate, ... and get the 4x speed for burning.
Gnomebaker will go down to 1X!
ace_N_kelly

Post by ace_N_kelly »

After adding the repository ,
you have to edit gnomebaker-stable-quantal.list, replacing "quantal" with "oneiric", and then it will install.

I've change that from here : /etc/apt/sources.list.d/gnomebaker-stable-quantal.list

Looks like this now...
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/gnomebaker/stable/ubuntu oneiric main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/gnomebaker/stable/ubuntu oneiric main

after that :
sudo apt-get update

Works very well in Linux Mint 14.1 X64
(I've integrated gnomebaker with mintconstructor in my ISO) :)
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

Consider however that even if it still works for now, this project is dead and so has no further technical support => http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnomebaker
ace_N_kelly

Post by ace_N_kelly »

oupssss...
Sorry... my bad !! :?
Last edited by ace_N_kelly on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

:shock: I don't think that using a cracked old proprietary commercial software is a correct answer.
ace_N_kelly

Post by ace_N_kelly »

Corrected :?
robw

Post by robw »

For my twopenny's worth, xfburn is the business and I always install it regardless of which desktop Im using (its native to xfce I think). Its very fast and ive not had a single error in about 2-3 years of usage. Over Cinnamon/Gnome it does need to install quite a few dependencies alongside it (which gets done automatcally) but I reckon its well worth the bit of disk space used!
ace_N_kelly

Post by ace_N_kelly »

In my case , xfburn has trouble with erasing dvdrw (when I try it few years ago...)...
It always crash or made errors but gnomebaker does it successfully...
But for the rest , xfburn seems good :)
Rhetoric

Post by Rhetoric »

eanfrid wrote:Consider however that even if it still works for now, this project is dead and so has no further technical support => http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnomebaker
Personally, it doesn't bother me in the least if an app suddenly becomes a "dead project". If it still runs and does its job, I can't complain. When it gets to the point at which it stops doing what it's designed to do, that's when I switch to something else which is hopefully just as stable.

Return to “Beginner Questions”