Upgrading the kernel

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
bootmakr
Level 2
Level 2

Upgrading the kernel

Post by bootmakr »

How do you upgrade the kernel in Mint/Ubuntu?
Rua
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Upgrading the kernel

Post by Rua »

Do you mean from the repositories, or by compiling the kernel yourself?
bootmakr
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bootmakr »

From the repos, I would never attempt to compile anything myself, I'm a computer ignoramus :lol: :lol:
mikecrosoft
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mikecrosoft »

Hello bootmarkr, that task can be easily done using synaptics package manager, follow the steps:

1. Launch synaptics
2. Click on the search button or hit Ctrl+f
3. Type linux-image and hit Enter, that will display a list of packages
4. Look for the package named linux-image-3.0.0-16-generic and mark it for installation (this is at the moment the latest version of the kernel in my case, if your kernel is 2.6 it wil be something like linux-image-2.6.wx-yz-generic)
5. Again hit Ctrl+f for a new search, this time you will type linux-headers
5. Look for the packages named linux-headers-3.0.0-16 and linux-headers-3.0.0-16-generic and mark them for installation (the version of this packages must match the version of the package marked in step 4)
6. Click on apply, wait for the packages to be downloaded and installed
7. Restart your PC and the new kernel must appear as the first option
8. If the system hangs with the new kernel you can boot your previous kernel versions in the grub, they will appear titled previous kernel versions or something alike; then you can uninstall the previously installed kernel packages and try with another version.

Note: is good to keep at least the last 2 working versions of the kernel
colyn
Level 6
Level 6

Post by colyn »

If you are talking about upgrading to the newest available kernel open a terminal and enter

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
Then enter

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
This will also update your x-org..
bootmakr
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bootmakr »

mikecrosoft wrote:Hello bootmarkr, that task can be easily done using synaptics package manager, follow the steps:

1. Launch synaptics
2. Click on the search button or hit Ctrl+f
3. Type linux-image and hit Enter, that will display a list of packages
4. Look for the package named linux-image-3.0.0-16-generic and mark it for installation (this is at the moment the latest version of the kernel in my case, if your kernel is 2.6 it wil be something like linux-image-2.6.wx-yz-generic)
5. Again hit Ctrl+f for a new search, this time you will type linux-headers
5. Look for the packages named linux-headers-3.0.0-16 and linux-headers-3.0.0-16-generic and mark them for installation (the version of this packages must match the version of the package marked in step 4)
6. Click on apply, wait for the packages to be downloaded and installed
7. Restart your PC and the new kernel must appear as the first option
8. If the system hangs with the new kernel you can boot your previous kernel versions in the grub, they will appear titled previous kernel versions or something alike; then you can uninstall the previously installed kernel packages and try with another version.

Note: is good to keep at least the last 2 working versions of the kernel
Thanks for that info, I appreciate it!
mikecrosoft
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mikecrosoft »

Hello bootmakr, is good to help!. I also liked colyn information, we're always in a learning process. Regards!.

Return to “Newbie Questions”