"the cube"

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zues

"the cube"

Post by zues »

o.k. ,,,, I have read, watched a bazillion youtube vid's, updated and installed everything anyone has said,,,
I CANNOT GET THE CUBE RUNNING !!!.
PLEASE help.
SATELITE A215
MINT 12 (LISA)
KERNEL 3.0.0-12-GENERIC
1.8 GIG MEMORY
PROCESSOR 1 -AMD TURION 64 X2 TL-56
PROCESSOR 2- AMD TURION 64 XS TL-56
AVAILABLE DISC SPACE 122 GIG
ATI GRAPHICS
didnt think I was a newb,,,,,,,,,but apparently,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: "the cube"

Post by remoulder »

The desktop cube was part of the compiz window manager in earlier versions. It is not used in lisa as it is not compatible with gnome shell but can be installed and used in the MATE desktop.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
zues

Post by zues »

so running in "mate" does it.?
zues

Post by zues »

even in mate with configuration and restarts ,,nothing,,,, how does it enable and start.?
bu99zy

Post by bu99zy »

zues wrote:even in mate with configuration and restarts ,,nothing,,,, how does it enable and start.?

Install fusion-icon, this will start compiz and also has settings for the manager and window decorations like emerald
zues

Post by zues »

seriously, thank you,, its working,,now to figure out the settings to get it smaller'thanks !!
claudecat

Post by claudecat »

For those into "the cube": I'll bet many of you don't even realize that that functionality is possible (with the right graphics hardware of course) out of the box with KDE (Mint's or any other). I still have issues with compiz on the few remaining non-KDE installs I have - after years of messing with it. Only LMDE, Zorin and Puppy (with xfce+compiz) get it completely right on my rig. The cube generally works, but there are usually issues with transparency of cube caps and incorrect skydome rendering. KDE always gets it right with no issues... even using nouveau and open ati drivers lately. I'll not miss compiz when it inevitably dies!

Return to “Beginner Questions”