Mic recording is too fast (bad sampling?)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Syndacate
Level 1
Level 1

Mic recording is too fast (bad sampling?)

Post by Syndacate »

Pretty much as the title says, in Skype test call or Audacity recording the audio is WAY too fast. In an Audacity recording the clip has a shorter duration than I recorded for...so I'm thinking something is wrong with the sampling rate.

I've tried modifying /etc/pulse/daemon.conf to give it a sampling rate of both 48000 or 44100 (restarted pulse after each time) - no luck.

Once in awhile I'll start up Skype after restarting pulseaudio and do a test recording and it'll come out perfectly - same for Skype - you can just as easily close a program and have it start up with super sampling...

I've never had this problem with my Logitech C310 before in past versions of Ubuntu, though I haven't tried it in Mint. Haven't used on Gnome 3 yet. Any help is appreciated, I'm a VERY active Skype user for collaboration sake and I'd have to say that if I can't get Skype to work like it has in past versions of Ubuntu, Windows, or OS X, I'd have to drop Mint...and I really don't want to do that because I'm really liking it so far... So ANY info you can give me is much appreciated..

dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Mic recording is too fast (bad sampling?)

Post by dagon »

Maybe this?
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/843431

What version of Mint are you using?
What kernel version?

Syndacate
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mic recording is too fast (bad sampling?)

Post by Syndacate »

dagon wrote:Maybe this?
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/843431

What version of Mint are you using?
What kernel version?
It could very well be the same issue, I'm not sure.

BTW: This is Mint 12 on 3.0.0-12-generic.

I fixed the issue by removing pulseaudio. Not entirely sure why people feel pulseaudio is necessary and why it's used in favor of straight up ALSA, but this isn't the first time it's given me a headache. Removed it using the package manager and all was good. Apps appear to still be mixing fine.

Return to “Newbie Questions”