SOLVED Help. "Filesystem Root" is 99% FULL

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gyozu

SOLVED Help. "Filesystem Root" is 99% FULL

Post by gyozu »

HELP!

Got a warning box that I only 413.7mb disk space remaining on Filesystem Root

I thought that 30GB would be enough for /.

How do I inspect what is in root to see what is eating up space?

How do i take space from /home and add to / ? and is that the right way to solve this.

Do i even have the correct idea of the terminology and problem?

This is a dual boot system with Win7 and 64bit Linux mint 12 "lisa" installled from CD

I set up root for 30Gb and home at ~ 600

I ran a look see with Gparted
/dev/sda2 ext4 27.94 with 26.14(used)
/dev/sda5 ext 622.45 with 177.62(used)
Here are some screenshots using the disk usage tool and a couple of other commands that i located.
diskusage2.jpg
Disk Usage.jpg
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gyozu

Re: Help. "Filesystem Root" is 99% FULL

Post by gyozu »

UPDATE:
Ran in terminal

Code: Select all

gksudo Nautilus
Got this image.

Does this mean I havew tried to write a crashplan BU to my external harddrive (ONETOUCH) inside my / directory?
I have uninstalled crashplan and will use a different BU method. Can this file just be trashed?
viking777

Post by viking777 »

It looks to me like you have something strange going on with /media. You have something permanently mounted there that is 21Gb in size, that is why you have no space left.

Could you run

ls -a /media 
and

cat /etc/fstab
gyozu

Post by gyozu »

Here it terminal output.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Does this mean I havew tried to write a crashplan BU to my external harddrive (ONETOUCH) inside my / directory?
I think it does (although I have no idea what crashplan is). You will need to delete that file to get the space back again. (30Gb should be more than enough for / filesystem).
gyozu

Post by gyozu »

What would be the best way to handle that file?

A full delete like "rm" or SHIFT-Delete in Nautilus?

Or could I use a cut and paste to the desktop and do a full delete from there?

Other thoughts?
Rua
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rua »

But /media is normally a mounted filesystem so how would that affect how much space is left on the root filesystem?
chipbuster

Post by chipbuster »

Rua wrote:But /media is normally a mounted filesystem so how would that affect how much space is left on the root filesystem?
Yes, you can see that the /media area has over 400 GB free lower down in the screen dialog....I don't think media is the problem here.

Have you tried analyzing your disk usage? To do a quick analysis of your main filesystem folders, run

du -hs /* 2>/dev/null
gyozu

Post by gyozu »

Have you tried analyzing your disk usage? To do a quick analysis of your main filesystem folders, run

du -hs /* 2>/dev/null
Terminal2.jpg

Crashplan is an automated BU program that will deliver offsite or to another remote HD. I found it on Lifehacker and used it for a while, but it is more complicated than what I need.

There are two files labled "OneTouchPlus 4" in the /media file. The first folder goes to a single file containing ~22GB that (?)seems to be on the /dev/sda2 partion (my root partiton) (?) which is only 30GB in total. If I expand the file there are files that are labled in CrashPlan format. I have my /home on its own ~600GB partition /dev/sda5.

The other "OneTouchPlus 4" in the /media file goes to the External HD and shows the folder "CrashPlan BU" which is the expected delivery site.

I'm guessing the BU program wrote a file to /media when it could not find the external drive.

Of course, being a real new user, I could be totally wrong. If I knew what was where, I think I could fix it, but I'm not even sure how to inspect just the contents of /dev/sda2
chipbuster

Post by chipbuster »

EDIT: Naturally, I didn't realize you posted your fstab earlier. Using this message as a placeholder while I take a look.

Hm, that's interesting. Your fstab shows that you're not mounting anything on boot.

Check out the output of the command "mount" This is a sample output from my Arch system.

tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (junkgoeshere)
/dev/sda4 on /home type ext4 (yadayadayada)
/dev/sda1 on /boot type ext2 (blahblahblah)
The format is [device] on [mount point] type [fstype], so I have /dev/sda4 mounted at /home right now.

See if there's anything mounted under your /media folder. Media is supposed to be reserved for mounted devices, but like you said, it is possible that a program wrote there when it couldn't find anything else. The fact that the names of the folders there are suspiciously similar adds to that idea.

Specifically, look for any filesystem mounted on /media/One Touch Plus Four (whatever the name is) that's the external hard drive. Ideally, what we want to see is

/dev/sdg1 on /media/OneTouch4 Plus_ type (whatever)
but we don't want to see anything mounted on /media/OneTouch4 Plus (no underscore) because that seems to be our rogue file.

------------------------

If that's what you see, then try to unmount that folder, just to double check. Command is

sudo umount /media/OneTouch4\ Plus
Hopefully, you'll get the error
umount: /media/OneTouch4\ Plus : not mounted"
That tells us that there isn't actually a separate filesystem there, and that's what's probably eating your space. You should be able to safely nuke it after that by cd-ing into the folder where it is and issuing an rm *

Be careful when you're using the rm command here--there's at least one folder that's really similar in name (the actual mounted drive), and you're working pretty close to /.
Double check everything before you erase. Hopefully you'll end up with an uncrowded root partition!
gyozu

Post by gyozu »

Yes, it is as you guessed.

If I enter "mount" in terminal I find this in the output.
/dev/sdf1 on /media/OneTouch4 Plus_ type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096,default_permissions)

If I look in the /media folder I find two entries.
OneTouch4 Plus (this is a file folder with 15 files and 22GB)
OneTouch4 Plus_ (this is the External HDD as it shows that way in the properties tab)

I tried to unmount the "OneTouch4 Plus" and it said " not mounted".

So would the removal procedure be

cd /media
sudo rm  OneTouch4\ Plus
Or is there someway to use gksudo nautilus to naviggate directly to that folder and remove it without sending it to trash?
chipbuster

Post by chipbuster »

You can gksudo nautilus and delete it, then empty your trash, but I think command line would be easier.

You have your commands spot on. It would indeed look like

cd /media
    sudo rm  OneTouch4\ Plus
However, I'd recommend you try removing it without sudo first. If you don't have permissions, then sudo it. Just make sure to double-check any command with sudo in front of it, because you have serious potential to bork a system if you mistype something.
gyozu

Post by gyozu »

I tried to do the above commands. It would not let me since it was a directory.

I used gksudo nautilus to open up OneTouch4\ Plus and was able to use Shift-Delete on the folder inside that.
Then went back up to the folder "OneTouch4\ Plus" and used shift delete on that.

Just to be safe, I had disconnected the external hard drive.

I restarted the machine and it came up with opnly one error message about a problem loading Wnckletfactory that I have to research.

A check with GParted shows that the 22GB have been recovered.
chipbuster

Post by chipbuster »

ah yeah, stupid me :\

For reference, the command to remove everything (including directories) is rm -r. Use with caution.

Anyways, glad it all worked out for you, and sorry it took so many steps to fix a simple problem. Just wanted to make sure we didn't wipe anything stupid.
gyozu

Post by gyozu »

Thanks for the help. I am glad to take the time and avoid turning my system into a candidate for the short bus. :lol:

I knew it would be a bit more work switching to Mint 12, but I like it so far and everything that I do seems to work.

Return to “Beginner Questions”