Any way to get wifi working with mint 12 and macbook 8,1

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
freestyle

Any way to get wifi working with mint 12 and macbook 8,1

Post by freestyle »

Hey guys whats up?? I cant find any clear way to get this going. I like what I been messing around with in mint, but I dont like having to keep a ethernet cord hooked up to my mac if I need to get on the internet. I went through a few steps but I'm not sure what to do. I got osx 10.7.3 lion if that makes a difference. I think I already installed the correct drivers, but I'm not sure. If someone could walk me through this or point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it very much. I did this for wireless https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBo ... c#Wireless and still didnt get any go, although I wasnt really clear on these steps though

Then install the linux-backports-modules-cw-3.2-oneiric-generic or, if you have the pae kernel installed, the linux-backports-modules-cw-3.2-oneiric-generic-pae package.

Edit the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf and add the line:

blacklist ndiswrapper

Create or edit the file /etc/pm/config.d/modules and make sure the wireless modules (b43 and bcma) are blacklisted:

SUSPEND_MODULES="b43 bcma"

I'm not even sure if that works for me cause I got a macbook 8,1 and thats for 8,2. Just want to get this going if I could. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Freestyle
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
chipbuster

Re: Any way to get wifi working with mint 12 and macbook 8,1

Post by chipbuster »

So you're not sure what the steps mean? Or you've tried them and they don't work?

There shouldn't have been a huge change between macbook versions. Although changes are possible, I somehow doubt that it would have been severe enough to break the programs (also, macs use nicely standardized hardware)
freestyle

Post by freestyle »

Hey thanks for the response. I think I might have to do format and clean install of osx lion on my mbp. I accidentally deleted my efi partition somehow,
and I've tried a couple of times to download the firmware update and install it and it still shows up in my software updates. I used to see the efi partition in disk utility, but now I dont. I really didnt under stand these steps below

install the linux-backports-modules-cw-3.2-oneiric-generic or, if you have the pae kernel installed, the linux-backports-modules-cw-3.2-oneiric-generic-pae package

wondering if I get that by a certain cmd, or of thats something I can install from the package manager or whatever its called in mint.

This below I wasnt to sure on as well.

Create or edit the file /etc/pm/config.d/modules and make sure the wireless modules (b43 and bcma) are blacklisted:

I think this was a standard text I was supposed to create? Not sure how to do that. Other then that everything else seemed great. I still gots lots I have to read up on. Any info on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Freestyle
chipbuster

Post by chipbuster »

freestyle wrote: install the linux-backports-modules-cw-3.2-oneiric-generic or, if you have the pae kernel installed, the linux-backports-modules-cw-3.2-oneiric-generic-pae package

wondering if I get that by a certain cmd, or of thats something I can install from the package manager or whatever its called in mint.
Open up a terminal with CTRL+ATL+T and paste in the following command to install the package. To copy and paste in the terminal, use CTRL+SHIFT+C and CTRL+SHIFT+V, because CTRL+C and CTRL+V have different meanings.

In case you're curious about the command syntax: "sudo" stands for superuser do, and is the utility that allows you to execute a command as the superuser (the user that gets control of the system). "apt-get" is the tool to download packages, "install" tells apt-get what you want it to do, and the thing after that is the name of the package you want to install.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-cw-3.2-oneiric-generic
This below I wasnt to sure on as well.

The way to do that is to use a text editor like gedit. Again, you will need superuser privileges. Use the following command:

gksudo gedit /etc/pm/config.d/modules
Look to see if there is a line that says "SUSPEND_MODULES" at the beginning. If there is, simply add b43 and bcma inside the quotes. If not, put the line

at the end of the file. Double check to make sure its correct, then save.
freestyle

Post by freestyle »

Hey thanks for this. Unfortunately I don't have mint anymore as I been wondering whats going on with my apple updates as I been stuck on the efi 2.7 firmware update for days now. I think I accidentally erased my efi partition, but I'm not sure because it seems like other people are having this problem as well. Don't want to do a format and clean install yet, as I don't feel like backing up my files, even though I don't have much on here. In the mean time I might just throw mint back on to mess around with it. I can probably wait till mountain lion comes out and then do a clean install of that. This has me tempted to throw mint back on and try to get the wifi working with my mbp. Thanks again for the directions on how to do this.

Freestyle

Return to “Beginner Questions”