Laptop temperature

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JennyR

Laptop temperature

Post by JennyR »

Hi!

New to linux and have a small question. I got a new Thinkpad t420s laptop (8GB ram, 64 bit). It seems to run noisier with Mint than with Windows 7 and the battery lasts less. I downloaded an app to check the temperature and it gives me numbers between 50-55 degrees (C). The fan runs between 2000 and 4000. Only Firefox was running at the time. Do these numbers look normal? Thanks a lot!

J
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vanDoom

Re: Laptop temperature

Post by vanDoom »

Hey - I have an L412 with an i5 and it definitely runs hotter in Linux than Windows (can't source that though :wink: ). The fan also runs about twice as much. The max temp is 105C, so you should be o.k.

http://www.intel.com/design/corei5/documentation.htm
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Laptop temperature

Post by TBABill »

50-55C is fairly normal. Ideally you can get down into the low to mid 40s with a proprietary video driver if available. If you have Intel graphics or are using an open source video driver, expect temps a bit higher with fewer fan control/heat control options. The proprietary drivers provide better control of heat and generate less heat by controlling how hard the video chipset works relative to the open source drivers. However, the open source drivers are really coming along and the ATi driver runs fairly cool on my machine, but not quite as cool as it did with the fglrx driver.

Return to “Beginner Questions”