Linux Mint 12 Live CD... freeze

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Vampyre
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint 12 Live CD... freeze

Post by Vampyre »

Hi there !

I have recovered the old laptop of my daughter, which is of no more use to her, and tried to install a Linux Mint 12 on it (32 bits).

To start of, I know this laptop has some issues. My daughter overheated it, and furthermore locked the bios with a password. After having read how to remove a bios password, she removed the battery, and tried to remove the bios battery. All it did was to make the bios forget about the time and date, and lose all its settings. So right now, I cannot even go inside the bios. That being said, I installed a windows 7 on it (an Asus X50gl, intel dual core, 3 giga ram, 250 megabytes hard drive, and a nvidia geforce 8200 m.

I cleaned the computer, removing all its components, removed all the dust, and reassembled it. Now all is fine, besides the bios (even the universal bios password from asus is refused, so I'm not sure if the bios is still working).

So, to test the laptop, I installed a windows 7 on it, and it works very fine. No problem at all, with 3d acceleration. Cool, I could use it for a linux distro. I burned a dvd with linux mint 12, putted it inside the dvd drive, and... the live cd booted. All went fine, and suddenly, the text mode disappears and I go into the graphical interface.

I see there Linux Mint 12 background image coming on the screen. THe mouse is responsive and I can see the cursor. But it stops there. No icons coming on the desktop. Nothing more happening. The dvd stops to work, and the hard drive access stops. But the mouse is still responsive, so I guess it is not crashed, but for an unknown reason it stops there. I tried to install an Ubuntu (same here, background image comes, and that is it), Debian (black screen).

So I'm wondering what is happening, or what could I do to install a linux on this machine, because I don't like windows and do not want to install it. For the moment, that's basically anything that runs on it. I'm wondering why is it working with a Windows 7 and why any Linux fails on this machine...

Is there something I could do to make it run ?

Thanks for the help !

Vampyre
Lumikki
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Linux Mint 12 Live CD... freeze

Post by Lumikki »

I don't really know much, just quessing. I think your issue is nvidia geforce 8200m related.
I think you can still get into "ctrl alt F2", what gives you commant prompt. You can give command there after login in. "ctrl alt F7" returns to graphics view.

But if you can't even get Live DVD to work, that's hard to get pass? Unless someone here knows how to start installation manually?
Asus P7P55D, i5 750 2.6Ghz, 4GB DDR3, GeForce 750Ti, 80GB Intel SSD, Dell 1600x1200, Dual boot, Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon, Windows 7
sagirfahmid3
Level 6
Level 6

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

Try Mint 9 instead of 12. Might be something with the newer kernel with your daughter's "old laptop" that's preventing it..Either that, or it's gotta be the graphics card.
Can you boot into compatibility mode?
Vampyre
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Vampyre »

Well so far, I've been unable to use any graphical environment, besides windows 7 64 bits on it (which runs perfect). But I don't like windows at all lol...

I will have a try with older distributions when I come back from work. So far Debian gives a black screen, Ubuntu the same error. I managed to launch a Knoppix, but after I am on the desktop I cannot do anything more. Nothing is responsive besides my arrow which moves freely on my desktop.

Very very strange stuff...
Vampyre
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Vampyre »

More and more strange. I downloaded the 32 bits iso of linux mint 9, burned, and launched. The live cd booted successfully. Great I think! I come to the desktop get my icons, all is working very great (or seems to).

I double click the install button, which start the installation process. I'm asked to enter my language (french), and ... it freezes there. The window switches to french, but nothing further, and I cannot click anything anymore... That is truly strange... The big mysteries of computers...

Return to “Newbie Questions”