My wireless keeps dropping!!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
yinyang37

Re: My wireless keeps dropping!!

Post by yinyang37 »

vanDoom wrote:How far did you get with http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/har ... iwi.4.html ?

vanDoom, I'm afraid not so far....it's too technical for a newbie like me. I have no idea where to find my kernel configuration file to do what it wants me to do. :?

To compile this driver into the kernel, place the following lines in your
kernel configuration file:

device iwi
device pci
device wlan
device firmware

Alternatively, to load the driver as a module at boot time, place the
following lines in loader.conf(5):

if_iwi_load="YES"
wlan_load="YES"
firmware_load="YES"
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Just like I said, that page does not apply to Linux users, it's about BSD kernels.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
chipbuster

Post by chipbuster »

So yeah, yinyang, don't worry about that manpage.

Sometimes, Linux wireless doesn't play well with high interference or weak signal. If you're having dropping issues, try moving closer to the access point. If it drops less, then you probably have an issue with signal quality/strength and not with the actual driver.
yinyang37

Post by yinyang37 »

I appreciate everyone's help, I really do!! I am just so frustrated!! At home, even in the same room as the router, the wireless keeps dropping. At work, it's on a shelf, and sitting directly under it, i still have the issue. I am giving up on Linux and going back to Windows, there's no point in having a laptop if I'm unable to consistently acess the internet with it.

It'll take me a couple weeks to make the switch back to Windows (next time my friend that knows how to do it comes back to town), so if anyone has any last minute hope for me, I'm still willing to try!

Thank you all again very much!!
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

You could perhaps try an upgraded driver from compat_wireless.

First install linux-headers if it is not yet installed (you can use wired connection to do this).

Then go to this page: http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Downl ... he_tarball
Download it using the link at the top.

After downloading, extract the file somewhere, then go to the folder where you extracted it and right-click > open in terminal. In that terminal please run:

Code: Select all

make
sudo make install
Then reboot, and you'll be using an updated driver. I can't guarantee that the problem is fixed now.

If it still won't work, you could perhaps try using the Windows driver for your Intel 2915ABG card with ndiswrapper.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

Return to “Beginner Questions”