HP laptop recurring PANIC failure

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Disench4nted
Level 1
Level 1

HP laptop recurring PANIC failure

Post by Disench4nted » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:11 pm

Ok, so I picked up an HP 2000z laptop this week and went ahead and installed Mint on it. Everything seems to be working ok, except that it repeatedly crashes saying "PANIC switching to text only" with a whole host of messages popping on screen. I've tried testing to see what exactly has been causing it, but it seems to be completely random. Sometimes it crashes if I open a web browser, sometimes it crashes if I tell it to download something, sometimes it works for 3 or 4 hours then crashes. I Linux Mint 12 (64 bit version) installed on it.

Any help would be very much appreciated. :D

hellfire695
Level 3
Level 3

Re: HP laptop recurring PANIC failure

Post by hellfire695 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:27 pm

Have you tried running a different kernel?

that would be my suggestion, try installing the liquorix kernel as that may help

echo "deb http://liquorix.net/debian sid main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/liquorix.list
echo "deb-src http://liquorix.net/debian sid main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/liquorix.list
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install '^liquorix-([^-]+-)?keyring.?'

then sudo apt-cache search liquorix then apt-get the amd64 kernel

Disench4nted
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Disench4nted » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:37 pm

I tried one other kernal last night (don't remember which version) and had no success, the only difference was that instead of panic, the computer just froze. But I will try your suggestion in a couple minutes because I think I may have found a "fix".

I tried searching for this issue as "ubuntu" instead of "mint" on google and found what seems to be my problem. It seems as though the power saving mode for the wireless card causes the system to fart out a hippo. So I just tried (hopefully succeded) to overwrite the script that takes care of that. It seems as though it is a bug in the kernal that they haven't gotten around to fixing yet. I'll give my laptop another hourish to see if it crashes...and if not I'll assume its fixed. I'll let you know either way.

Disench4nted
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Disench4nted » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:43 pm

Alright well this seems to have fixed it. All I did was create a blank text file at /etc/pm/power.d/wireless

This overrides the script that takes care of the wireless power saving mode which is causing the problem.

hellfire695
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hellfire695 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:49 am

Wireless under linux, gottah love it. especially broadcom

Return to “Newbie Questions”