More Partition Confusion

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Re: More Partition Confusion

Post by Zwopper »

wjwheels wrote:I have 2 linux partitions on my computer; a 46GiB root partition and a 2GiB swap. I'd like to resize the root, probably down to about 12GiB and make a new partition in the remaining (34GiB) for my Home file. If I do this, do I merely "move" (cut & paste) the entire Home file to the new partition?

Problems so far: GParted (partition manager) will not let me access the root partition to resize it. How can I do it?
It's one of those classic questions... :)
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... ome#p56206
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... _partition
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

wjwheels wrote:Thank you very much. That handles moving the Home folder. However, I still can't find how to resize the existing partition to accommodate the new one.
The easiest way I found is to boot with the GParted CD - http://gparted-livecd.tuxfamily.org/
CREA DIEM!

Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

wjwheels wrote:Thanks again. I just used Partition Magic to do it. I was just hoping I could do it from within the program, but I guess it's logical that that's impossible being the program is in that partition.... duh!

I think I can get it now. :D
Well you CAN do it if you load the program first and then unmount the partition, as long as your swap partition is not on an adjecent partition.
CREA DIEM!

catweazle
Level 2
Level 2

Post by catweazle »

I do all my partition work with the Gparted LiveCD (see link earlier post). It is clear, simple and I never had issues with it.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

wjwheels wrote:Well, I followed the instructions that you linked in Wiki and all is done now. I have no idea HOW it got done, but it did. My new partition doesn't even show up in "Computer", because I guess it's now inside of Home (not actually, but virtually). I didn't get rid of "Old_Home" though. I've got to go back and redo that part. When I ran the command, it started to delete stuff and then stopped with an error. There's nothing in the folder except 2 empty folders; network & wheels (my home name). It would serve as a reminder, I guess, if I just left it there.

Thanks again Zwopper, for all your help.

Wheels
The Network folder is a special folder, you can remove it only if your network connection is disabled.
CREA DIEM!

Return to “Beginner Questions”