LM12 + Cinnamon = Hang --> no mouse -- Help Please

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
johnb0647
Level 1
Level 1

LM12 + Cinnamon = Hang --> no mouse -- Help Please

Post by johnb0647 »

I spent a long day installing Linux Mint 12 on one of my computers, an old Dell Dimension 8200, and bringing it up to date. I tried various setting and didn't quite find what I want in a desktop so I started installing Cinnamon 1.3.1 via the Software Manager. At 70% the process hung. I left it overnight but after 12 hours it was still hung at the same point so I killed the process and rebooted.

When I got to the login screen...... no mouse, no apparent keyboard access to shut down and a short press on the hardware reset did not trigger a shut down so I finally had to do a hard reboot. Optimistically I tried again. This time I tabbed to the choice of desktop option and was surprised to see Cinnamon there. I tried all four options but still no mouse. Shut down and booted windows to verify there is nothing wrong with the hardware.

I'm sure I can get into the LM installation with the live CD but I have no clue what to do.

I really hope I don't have to re-install. The guys who plan out the install sequence seem to think that everyone everywhere has gigabit internet so if they force download of a few hundred megabytes of language packs I won't ever need or cumulative updates involving more data than the original install disk....... who cares. Out here in a third world country where 250Kbps is considered "broadband" that's several hours at the best of times.

Pardon the rant....... I really could use a little help here.

johnb0647
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LM12 + Cinnamon = Hang --> no mouse -- SOLVED

Post by johnb0647 »

Solved

A few more hours of Duck Duck Go and I found another forum that mentioned that the combination of LM12 + Cinnamon has broken PS/2 mice.

I plugged in a USB mouse and got mouse back but lots of random goofs which I attribute to the incomplete install of Cinnamon.

Uninstalled Cinnamon and got the PS/2 mouse back.

Reinstalled Cinnamon. Got a complete install this time. PS/2 mouse still works.

Makin' progress.

Return to “Newbie Questions”