How to install software on Linux Mint

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: How to install software on Linux Mint

Post by Flemur »

b1+ wrote:Is this tutorial posting information I can use with "Sarah"?
Yes, it's all the same.
I use and pay a yearly membership to a game site it is called Pogo and I would like to play the games on that site but I can't update the scripts needed to run the games.
I just tried that site, it said
"Your Adobe Flash Player is out of date
No need to panic, you just need the latest version of Adobe Flash Player to play this game. Please visit Adobe.com to update your version now."
My current version: 11.2.202.644, which, according to Adobe, is also the latest version:
https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

So I dunno what you could do to use 'pogo', but there are a lot of similar sites.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
JCSenar
Level 11
Level 11

Post by JCSenar »

Flemur wrote:My current version: 11.2.202.644, which, according to Adobe, is also the latest version
Hi!

Linux Mint installs the package "adobe-flashplugin" by default. It may be necessary to replace it with the "flashplugin-installer" package (v. 11.2.202.644):
Pantallazo-Gestor de paquetes Synaptic .jpg
Si tu consulta ha sido resuelta, por favor, edita tu primer mensaje y añade [SOLUCIONADO] al título. Gracias.
3Focus1

Post by 3Focus1 »

Hello!

When we select for install an application/ program using Software Manager, and checked synaptic package manager, but it does not appear on my machine ie Testdisk (showing installed on this machine), what should we consider?

Thank You!

desktop:
Mint 18.1 'Serena'
Cinnamon 32-bit
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Testdisk is built into GParted's data recovery area now.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
sme

Post by sme »

HalIo,
I'm new in this forum and new with ubuntu/Mint (18).
I just got this message:

Code: Select all

The repository 'cdrom://Linux Mint 18 _Sarah_ - Release amd64 20160628 xenial Release' does not have a Release file.Data from such a repository can't be authenticated and is therefore potentially dangerous to use.See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.Fehlschlag beim Holen von cdrom://Linux Mint 18 _Sarah_ - Release amd64 20160628/dists/xenial/contrib/binary-amd64/Packages  Bitte verwenden Sie apt-cdrom, um APT diese CD-ROM bekannt zu machen. apt-get update kann nicht dazu verwendet werden, neue CD-ROMs hinzuzufügen.Einige Indexdateien konnten nicht heruntergeladen werden. Sie wurden ignoriert oder alte an ihrer Stelle benutzt.
What to do?
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Open the update manager and uncheck the CDROM as a means of installing software from it.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
sme

Post by sme »

Thanks!
Eren24

Post by Eren24 »

I have been using ubunto for the past 2 years now. I want to try this Linux Mint. I love having linux over my desktop because its fast and the lag is minimize. Thanks for this detailed software installation method. I am new to this forum and would love to learn mo a lot about linux. So bye for now and will reformat my PC and install Linux mint! Thank a lot!
BeHarley

Post by BeHarley »

Hey kudos to sharing this post! Thanks alot. :) :)
Sayanel
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Sayanel »

Hey
In the original post, the link in Section 2.2, in the sentence

Usually you will find a .deb package for Ubuntu; those will work with Linux Mint (you can find the Ubuntu release on which your Linux Mint release is based here, in the "Package base" column, or ask on the forums for help on this).

is broken.
It redirects to https://www.linuxmint.com/oldreleases.php
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Thank you. Fixed :) Replaced the link with https://linuxmint.com/download_all.php.
Green-cedar-19+52

Post by Green-cedar-19+52 »

xenopeek,

Thank you for the article on "How to install software on Linux Mint."

greencedar
Davent
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Davent »

xenopeek wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:22 am I wrote a new topic Differences between Update Manager, Synaptic, and `apt-get upgrade` for that.
This topic refers to Synaptic no longer being applicable to Linux Mint. I don't understand because it seems to work on Cinnamon 18.3.
Asus X556UA Laptop - Intel i7-7500U - 20Gb Ram - 2Tb + 4Tb SSD - Linux Mint 20 Ulyana - Dual Boot
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Davent wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:24 am This topic refers to Synaptic no longer being applicable to Linux Mint. I don't understand because it seems to work on Cinnamon 18.3.
Synaptic can be used on Mint 18.3 to install and uninstall packages, but not to do upgrades.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
vishgaur
Level 3
Level 3

Post by vishgaur »

I'm still new and noob in here. I was surprised to see so many questions are there that I could actually answer. :D

Well, I'll cut the story short. Since you are new, I'd recommend using SOFTWARE MANAGER.
other options is FLATPAK and there are many other ways too but you should stick to these.

Follow the below given link to know how to install softwares from Flatpak

viewtopic.php?t=229637

If you are wondering, you downloaded some exe file and want to install it by double clicking it. This double click doesn't work with linux.

However, you can still install exe files via playonlinux/wine. I was attempting the same when I first installed linux but soon realised that every alternate is already present in linux world for your .exe format.
so, use alternate apps.
Still if you have to install some windows program, avoid using playonlinux as it sometimes makes system unstable.
Use virtualbox, install a windows OS inside it and use it as an alternative window inside your linux to install and execute your windows programs.
you have to first enable Virtual Machine in your BIOS settings when you boot up and only then your Virtualbox installation will proceed.
How to install VirtualBox? Follow the link given below:

https://www.pcsteps.com/184-install-vir ... nt-ubuntu/

You can install it from software manager too. That would be easier, one click install.

How to install windows 10 on virtualbox? Link below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Kh_Y3xg890

Hope it helps.

Once you are done, please mark your question as SOLVED to not waste time of others.
Since 2003 on computers, since 2014 on Linux.

Blog: https://www.inksup.wordpress.com
vishgaur
Level 3
Level 3

Post by vishgaur »

And to all Google chrome enthusiasts, avoid chrome. chrome takes forever to start after click. chromium is almost same as chrome, use it instead if you don't like firefox. Why chromium starts up fast? It doesn't collect your data unlike google chrome that programs itself to breach your privacy when you start it and hence it takes forever to start up and I'm talking about the google-chrome-stable version.

You can import all settings, plugins, bookmarks etc from chrome on chromium by logging in from google account and then you can opt to log out.
Since 2003 on computers, since 2014 on Linux.

Blog: https://www.inksup.wordpress.com
vincent_chen

Post by vincent_chen »

Nice topic! Very detailed! Thanks for sharing!
Pearsimmon

Post by Pearsimmon »

Okay, so I added a PPA... now how do I find out what was installed from it and what is that program named?
Last edited by Pearsimmon on Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Pearsimmon.
Pearsimmon wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:24 amOkay, so I added a PPA... now how do I find out what was installed from it and what is that program named?
Adding a PPA to the list of available repositories does not install any software automatically.
First you have to refresh the list of available software, e.g. by executing the terminal command apt update or e.g. by clicking [Refresh] in Synpatic package manager.
Next you have to select an application, which is offered by the newly added PPA, for installation and install it.
In this case you should know what you have installed, shouldn't you?

And usually it works the other way round:
You want to install an application. This application is only available from a specific PPA. This is why you add the PPA and then installa the desired software.
Normally you do not add a random PPA, just to find out what might be in it.

So which PPA did you add to your system? And why? Which application do you want to update, for which only this unnamed PPA offers the newer version?

In case the PPA, which you added, offers newer versions for software packages, which had already been installed from the official software repositories, in this case the newer software packages should be offered by Update Manager as available updates.
Again, you may have to click [Refresh] in Update Manager in order to make it refresh the list of available software packages first.

Best regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
Pearsimmon

Post by Pearsimmon »

I have added "ppa:jonathonf/ffmpeg-4" since I want newer version of "ffmpeg" than the outdated one from Software Manager.
It contains several packages. I chose "ffmpeg" and it installed all dependencies automatically. Can I safely ignore the rest of the PPA's contents?

On a side note, why are many programs so outdated in the official manager anyway? I often had to resort to Flatpak versions just to have top functionality, but in the case of "ffmpeg" I had to add a new PPA (manager's version very outdated).

Then there is this program "FreeTube"... I can't find any PPAs, only Github source code. Is it possible to automate Github software updating or do I have to manually compile each time a new release comes out?

Return to “Beginner Questions”