How to install software on Linux Mint

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: How to install software on Linux Mint

Post by xenopeek »

akarydis wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:45 amthen sudo apt-get install (name of package).
You don't need to use sudo with apt-cache. Also, on Linux Mint you can just use short-hand:
apt search packagename

Run apt command to see what else it can do.
weny

Post by weny »

xenopeek wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:50 am
akarydis wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:45 amthen sudo apt-get install (name of package).
You don't need to use sudo with apt-cache. Also, on Linux Mint you can just use short-hand:
apt search packagename

Run apt command to see what else it can do.
I think you also don't need to use apt-get, you can use only apt, so sudo apt install (name of package) is way faster to type and does the same thing as sudo apt-get install (name of package).
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

You don't need to use sudo with apt. Type apt help install something to understand.
akarydis

Post by akarydis »

Yes, i think you are right.Sorry, the lack of sleep is affecting me negative.Also, over the years i am not good in theory, my hands go mechanicaly.
Aisha

Post by Aisha »

marksmith121 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:59 am Check this out, for install software on Linux Mint
https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1525
i like this step by step online installation guide, thx for that
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

<mod> split off product specific question by thomas-gatry and turnt into new thread here: How to install openHAB on Linux Mint? </mod>
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
aronw95

Post by aronw95 »

First of all thank you for breaking it down for such an easy understanding. It is one of the first things new comers have to face while working on any Linux distros. We know Linux is not exactly known for its user friendliness (comparing to windows and mac)
Akelbee
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Akelbee »

Thanks for this elucidating post on an important matter which regrettably is not too easy for users of Linux to get a good understanding of.

Wouldn't it be a good idea also to include some information on Flatpak, Appimage, and Snapstore? Users will soon realize that some of their favourite software has come in new version with shiny new features that is most wanted, and will search for means to get them available. Answers found may often be one or more of the three mentioned mechanism. Some clarifications of what they are and pro and cons about their use would be beneficial, I believe.
Dark Owl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dark Owl »

Akelbee wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:25 am Wouldn't it be a good idea also to include some information on Flatpak, Appimage, and Snapstore? Users will soon realize that some of their favourite software has come in new version with shiny new features that is most wanted, and will search for means to get them available. Answers found may often be one or more of the three mentioned mechanism. Some clarifications of what they are and pro and cons about their use would be beneficial, I believe.
Feel free!
Currently: Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 64-bit 5.8.4, AMD Ryzen5 + Geforce GT 710
Previously: LM20.3 LM20.2 LM20.1, LM20, LM20β, LM18.2
Akelbee
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Akelbee »

Dark Owl wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:18 am
Akelbee wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:25 am Wouldn't it be a good idea also to include some information on Flatpak, Appimage, and Snapstore? Users will soon realize that some of their favourite software has come in new version with shiny new features that is most wanted, and will search for means to get them available. Answers found may often be one or more of the three mentioned mechanism. Some clarifications of what they are and pro and cons about their use would be beneficial, I believe.
Feel free!
Thanks - if I only knew what to write.
I have caught warnings against Snapstore, that I know is disabled in Mint now because it's believed Snapstore represent some risks,
I have installed one newer version than offered by Mint of one very important (to me) program by means of Appimage - and wonder what drawbacks and risks I have then taken on -- but still chose to utilize Appimage since I found a quote that indicated that Linus Torvalds thought not too bad about Appimage, and
I wonder so much about Flatpak's pros and cons that I've never used it.

If you can use that for anything - feel free!

(Edit: What little else I know about Appimage installation I've previously written in this thread: viewtopic.php?p=1756326#p1756326 )
sherlly
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sherlly »

I'll recommend Synaptic Package Manager.

With Synaptic Package Manager you have more fine-tuned control over the software packages that are in the software repositories of Linux Mint. More so than with Software Manager. In Linux Mint, Synaptic is present by default.

Synaptic also works with queries, much like you use Google. In order to use it, you need to establish internet connection first.

Synaptic can be used like this: for example, you're looking for a simple notepad that's even leaner than the simple text editor Xed. You've heard of the application Mousepad, and you want to give it a try.

Launch Synaptic Package Manager.

Press the Search button in the toolbar of Synaptic and type mousepad in the popup screen.

Press Search in the popup screen.

Synaptic will then present you with a number of software packages that have something to do with Mousepad. In most cases you simply choose the package with the most appropriate name, in this case mousepad.

Notice also the description of the package, which appears below when you click on a package.

Tick mousepad and press the button Apply in the toolbar.

Now Synaptic fetches Mousepad from the repositories of Mint, along with the necessary supporting files, and installs it for you. A menu item for Mousepad will be added automatically.

It can be easy!
verbosity9
Level 1
Level 1

Post by verbosity9 »

Does this infer that any software that does not appear in 'Software Manager' is not recommended/accepted, or is not compatible with the particular flavour of Linux?
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

verbosity9 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:20 am Does this infer that any software that does not appear in 'Software Manager' is not recommended/accepted, or is not compatible with the particular flavour of Linux?
No to both questions.
verbosity9
Level 1
Level 1

Post by verbosity9 »

hmm
Dark Owl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dark Owl »

It certainly doesn't "infer"; whether it implies is another matter.
Currently: Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 64-bit 5.8.4, AMD Ryzen5 + Geforce GT 710
Previously: LM20.3 LM20.2 LM20.1, LM20, LM20β, LM18.2
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

<mod>
After 9 years and 9 screen pages this thread, which started with xenopeek's excellent & concise overview way back in 2012, has definitely stopped being useful.
The whole topic would need a complete re-write, because by now in addition to the traditional software sources (official software repositories, Launchpad PPA's) we now also have Flathub, Snap and Appimages, which did not play any role way back in 2012.
Closing this thread.
</mod>
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Beginner Questions”