How to install software on Linux Mint

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: How to install software on Linux Mint

Post by xenopeek »

Looking at the PPA packages for Linux Mint 17 ("trusty" series), you can see indeed there are no 32 bit (i386) packages.

Using it as you are doing is just like on Windows; you've download a random executable file and dropped in somewhere on your desktop and are running it from there. That's indeed not installing in the sense that your package manager doesn't know of the existence of this program being installed, nor of what files it installed where, and so can't help you in any way (your package manager is the one fetching updates for installed programs, ensuring no packages get deleted that are needed by others, that you don't accidentally install an older version of some package but only never ones, and that if you remove the package all the associated system files--never user files--are removed).

I wouldn't bother with trying to "install" it. Just right-click your menu, choose to edit it, and add an launcher for this program to your menu yourself. As for the question you get when opening it, I suggest you make a new topic and ask for help with that.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

http://askubuntu.com/questions/376291/c ... utside-the

up vote 1 down vote

If you are looking to control your source-code-installation through Synaptic Manager or Ubuntu Software Center (to ease the process of uninstall), you can try

./configure
make
sudo checkinstall

which creates a .deb package. This is can be installed using Ubuntu Software Center.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CheckInstall

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/usi ... ges-source

http://community.linuxmint.com/software ... -essential

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9234

https://wiki.debian.org/IntroDebianPackaging
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Thanks so much for the clarification, xenopeek. By the way, configuring the menu to add a link to the file resolved the issue of the message that pops up (make executable and run). It just runs it with no message. 2 birds, eh?
cyberschelm
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cyberschelm »

Hello,

Thanks for this cool install manual.

There is one install method not covered tho, the one I've had most of my problems with over the last 6 months, and that is installing with git for software like sickbeard, couchpotato, headphones and spotweb. These programs were one of the main reasons for me to switch to linux.

I managed to get them all running, took me bout 2 months to learn how and involved a bunch of fresh installs when I messed up putting the scripts in order. But I still don't have proper insight on the structures regarding git install.

Would love to see a guide on that topic.
I am NOT hampered by any knowledge.
lxroguexl

Post by lxroguexl »

i get this when i try to install a msi file. Installing mime type handlers isn't supported

To search and install software which can open certain file types you have to install app-install-data.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

msi files are for windows installer. Trying to install that in Linux would be like trying to install a deb or rpm package into windows.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
mehimu

Post by mehimu »

Thanks for this discussion, i was also in trouble for installing software, so i was surfing in the internet about the solution, and landing here. Thanks for this post.
Etorg

Post by Etorg »

Thank you for posting this information. I'm fresh into Linux Mint 17, upon the death of WinXP. This was good source for new terms for the newbie...whodathunkit... .deb is a debian file format...lol.
FranklynA
Level 1
Level 1

Post by FranklynA »

Start>Synaptic Package Manager (You may be asked to enter your password to use SPM).
Look for what you want first in "Installed". This will give you a list of all currently installed Apps & an explanation of each.
If you do not find it. Hit "Not Installed". This will show you a list of all currently available Apps & an explanation of each.
If you want to install one of these Apps - Check its box>Mark for Installation>Apply.
Easy as that !!

If you can't find what you want anywhere using SPM, you can find the App elsewhere & download it as a tarball (.tar). You will then have save it in a Directory, extract it & install it using a Terminal.
FanOfLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by FanOfLinux »

>>.
Install a .deb package: .deb files are like .exe files on Windows. You download them from the Internet yourself, and they install in just a few clicks. To install the package either double-click it, or right-click on it and choose "Open With GDebi Package Installer". Enter your password if prompted. The rest should be automatic.
I have the following scenario:
At first time using a new software, I download from site the latest or desired release.
Say I use the .deb package.

Questions:
1) If installation using .deb package (and this package does not exists in Software Manager),
does it show up in Software Manager after install?
If not, how do I undo the installation?

2) Say the existing package in LM 17 is two or three releases ahead of my current package.
How do I update to latest or desired release (say one release behind the latest release) after the above installation?

3) If package in Software manager is several releases behind latest release,
how do I install with a newer release ( not necessary the latest release ) from within Software Manager?
[It does not look like this can be done. ?? ]

4) For installation outside software manager, does it show up in update manager?
If not, how do I enable it to show up in update manager?

Thank you.
"Bad company corrupts good character." - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menander
Dual boot : Linux Mint Edge 20.1 Cinnamon, Win 11
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

1) Yes if you install a .deb package it shows up in Software Manager. So you can easily uninstall it from there.

2) If you have manually installed some package from a .deb file and a newer version of that package is available from the Linux Mint repositories, Update Manager will show this to you in the list of candidate packages for upgrading.

3) You would need to add an additional repository to your system, one that has the newer release of the package you desire. Most often you can find these repositories as a PPA (Personal Package Archive) from the developers. You can add a PPA to your system by finding it (google "PPA <packagename>"), confirming it supports the Ubuntu release your Linux Mint version uses as a package base (noted here: http://www.linuxmint.com/download_all.php), confirming it has the release you desire, and then copying the PPA string from the page (like "ppa:webupd8team/y-ppa-manager" from https://launchpad.net/~webupd8team/+arc ... pa-manager) and adding it on the PPA tab in Software Sources (find it in your menu).

4) I believe that's questions 1 and 2 combined, see answers above.
FanOfLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by FanOfLinux »

Thanks.
"Bad company corrupts good character." - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menander
Dual boot : Linux Mint Edge 20.1 Cinnamon, Win 11
mehimu

Post by mehimu »

Many many thanks, i'll apply this step, when i'll install the new software. Thanks again.
Arial Courier

Post by Arial Courier »

Just replying as a way to bookmark this piece. I was thinking of posting a thread on this topic as I've had trouble getting downloaded software to run on LMDE. I'd choose the "Save file" option when downloading, then "Open containing folder" when the download had completed...but then I'd get stuck just getting the software to work...I couldn't even get to that stage.

Wondering if there's an easy way to make a downloaded software visible on your desktop or as a quicklaunch icon, as per Windows.

Hopefully this thread will prove useful if I've got more time on my hands to read through it.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Put a link in your desktop folder, and done.
reddot

Post by reddot »

Arial Courier wrote: Wondering if there's an easy way to make a downloaded software visible on your desktop or as a quicklaunch icon, as per Windows.

i would be very carefull what you download over the net for mint. i dont know if ppa work in lmde, but even ppa are dangerous, if added from unknown source.

depending on your DE, if your using mate, just right click on desktop->make launcher->set type:application;;;application in terminal;;;location ->set name->set command:pluma(if your making a pluma shortcut)
other option is to change the icon by click on the left image in make launcher "sping"
frank095

Post by frank095 »

OMG, as a newbie, I've been trying to download Code:block for 30 minutes without success. With this tuto, took 5 sec, thanks so much hahah
jakmak52
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jakmak52 »

As others have stated I find the Synaptic Manager works great!!!

Jack
echendeife

Post by echendeife »

xenopeek wrote:

Code: Select all

./configure
make
sudo make install
How do you write multiple lines in the terminal? (Btw. sorry for being SUCH a former WinFan)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

This is a list of 3 commands, which you run one at a time.

Return to “Beginner Questions”