How to install software on Linux Mint

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
munkitkat

Re: How to install software on Linux Mint

Post by munkitkat »

Thanks a lot for this :) Will help newbies like me :mrgreen:
allstarrmultimedia
Level 1
Level 1

Post by allstarrmultimedia »

I did a search of the topic, and didn't see any reference, so thought I'd add in my 2 bits in regards to WINE, so if others search this topic, they can find it.

After installing WINE, and then, downloading a Windows program, the program doesn't automatically run when double-clicking. [at least that has been my experience]. You will have an .exe file, and to install it, one right clicks on it, and selects Open With > "Wine Windows Program Loader." This will then allow WINE to install the program similar to how it loads if it was in Windows.

If one is looking for a good collection of freeware programs, with a good number of them running well in WINE, I recommend http://freewarefiles.com/. Most of the files I've downloaded work well in WINE, they're free/open source, and can be just as good as commercial ware.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

For a safe usage of Windows programs via wine I strongly recommend
  • only use trusted programs
    only(!) - this is the point here - download them from their original websites
    don't let them connect with the Internet
SnuffGear

Post by SnuffGear »

Helpful thread, but I think it's missing a key point. Some programs install and show up in the menu. Others just seem to disappear. Where do they go and how to access/run?
I'm assuming the ones that disappear are command line programs, but how do you find where they've installed and how do you run them?
This is very frustrating to a newbie and it's my only annoyance with using Linux.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

In Software Manager most programs that have a graphical user interface will have a unique icon on their package. The packages with generic icons are generally command line programs or system components (libraries etc.). All packages generally have a website link and/or screenshots, to help you figure out if this is indeed the kind of program you think it is and if it would fit your needs.

You can use Synaptic Package Manager or dpkg on the command line (dpkg -L packagename) to see what files were installed from the package and the executable will generally be in the directory /usr/bin/. If you want to use command line programs, the command name is generally the same as the package name.
SnuffGear

Post by SnuffGear »

Thank You!
dogukan

Post by dogukan »

Thank you for sharing. It's really useful topic for newbies like me ;)
AlexAu

Post by AlexAu »

This topic was very helpful. Thanks
tuongtrante1

Post by tuongtrante1 »

Right-click the menu button, the thingy in the lower left of your screen that says "Menu" Choose Edit menu. :D
black_rambo

Post by black_rambo »

if I double click a .deb file/package and it installs, does that mean the package doesn't need root access to run?

I downloaded Vivaldi browser from the web and was wondering the security implications of installing software from the web. Thanks!
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Installing a package requires root access. Normally, running the installed program does not require root access. If it does need root access to run your operating system will ask you to authorize that.

Installing software from the web, especially closed source software like Vivaldi, is in my opinion less safe than installing software from the repositories (as done through Software Manager). It's up to you to decide whether you trust the software you download yourself from the web.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

xenopeek wrote:Thanks :D Any feedback for improvement is welcome.
Good read.
Can you summarize the relationship of these elements?
  • {Synaptic}Update Manager
  • apt-get upgrade
  • Levels
Thank you for your time.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Root13

Post by Root13 »

Chrome is installed successfully, thank you)
JLius

Post by JLius »

I'm a complete noob, so don't shoot please :D

I read that software is best installed via software manager. The first program I wanted to install is PIA. They seem to be involved in mint somehow, so I expected PIA to be available in the manager. But no such luck. I have to visit the PIA website and install from there. Is that unsafe?

Second program I was looking for is an epub checker. I found epubcheck in the software manager and installed it, but the program is nowhere to be found. So I look for epubchecker on Google. I used this under Windows, there is a Linux version available. This requires Java, which also isn't available under software manager...

So, how am I supposed to install my programs safely when everything I need can't be found on software manager? Am I looking in the wrong place?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

JLius wrote:So, how am I supposed to install my programs safely when everything I need can't be found on software manager? Am I looking in the wrong place?
Try reading the first posting in this topic, the tutorial that you are responding to. It answers your question.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
JLius

Post by JLius »

Maybe it isn't obvious to you, but I did read the first post, else I wouldn't even know about the recommended way to install software. So please, just explain to me how I install PIA, the recommended way? The other ways read like Chinese to me.

And, if in a good mood, also how I find java in software manager (I found a YouTube way, but I am not sure if that is safe). Shouldn't you install Java on Linux?

And if in a very good mood, explain to me why epubcheck doesn't show up anywhere after I install it in the manager? Is this a bug?

Thank you!
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

JLius wrote:Maybe it isn't obvious to you, but I did read the first post, else I wouldn't even know about the recommended way to install software.
It wasn't obvious to me... you could have learned that from someone else or by reading the manual that came with your installation. :wink:
JLius wrote:So please, just explain to me how I install PIA, the recommended way? The other ways read like Chinese to me.
I had to do a search to find the software you're talking about. I assume it's this? https://helpdesk.privateinternetaccess. ... p-on-Linux
If you download it straight from the manufacturer, I would consider that to be safe enough.
JLius wrote:And, if in a good mood, also how I find java in software manager (I found a YouTube way, but I am not sure if that is safe). Shouldn't you install Java on Linux?

And if in a very good mood, explain to me why epubcheck doesn't show up anywhere after I install it in the manager? Is this a bug?
I'm in a decent mood, but I wish I knew as much as you seem to assume :)
I have several java-related packages installed , but they may very well be installed by default (I can't remember). Things like default-jre and openjdk-7-jre. I found those by typing 'java' in the search box in the software manager.
If I were you, I'd check first whether you have those. Any specific reason why you wish to install java?

Epubcheck appears to be a command line tool, and those do not show up in the menu. It does not seem to have a GUI.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
LudwigVonMech
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LudwigVonMech »

Thank you very much for this posting...it is very useful and easy to understand. :D
b1+

Post by b1+ »

Is this tutorial posting information I can use with "Sarah"?
I need to know the easiest way to install programs.
I am getting older, they trained me on Windows programs and procedures but with the forcible launch of Windows 10 I would love to be done with Microsoft's Software.
I use and pay a yearly membership to a game site it is called Pogo and I would like to play the games on that site but I can't update the scripts needed to run the games. Probably such as flash and some java script, I apologize for not being more specific but my memory is not what it used to be and that is an issue for me.
If someone with some patience could help me, I would be really grateful.

Return to “Beginner Questions”