How to install software on Linux Mint

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
b1+
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How to install software on Linux Mint

Postby b1+ » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:33 am

Is this tutorial posting information I can use with "Sarah"?
I need to know the easiest way to install programs.
I am getting older, they trained me on Windows programs and procedures but with the forcible launch of Windows 10 I would love to be done with Microsoft's Software.
I use and pay a yearly membership to a game site it is called Pogo and I would like to play the games on that site but I can't update the scripts needed to run the games. Probably such as flash and some java script, I apologize for not being more specific but my memory is not what it used to be and that is an issue for me.
If someone with some patience could help me, I would be really grateful.

Flemur
Level 13
Level 13

Postby Flemur » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:01 pm

b1+ wrote:Is this tutorial posting information I can use with "Sarah"?

Yes, it's all the same.

I use and pay a yearly membership to a game site it is called Pogo and I would like to play the games on that site but I can't update the scripts needed to run the games.

I just tried that site, it said
"Your Adobe Flash Player is out of date
No need to panic, you just need the latest version of Adobe Flash Player to play this game. Please visit Adobe.com to update your version now."
My current version: 11.2.202.644, which, according to Adobe, is also the latest version:
https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

So I dunno what you could do to use 'pogo', but there are a lot of similar sites.
Mint 18.2 Xfce/fluxbox/pulse-less - Xubuntu 16.10/fluxbox/pulse-less
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

JCSenar
Level 8
Level 8

Postby JCSenar » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:52 pm

Flemur wrote:My current version: 11.2.202.644, which, according to Adobe, is also the latest version

Hi!

Linux Mint installs the package "adobe-flashplugin" by default. It may be necessary to replace it with the "flashplugin-installer" package (v. 11.2.202.644):

Pantallazo-Gestor de paquetes Synaptic .jpg
Por favor, si tu consulta ha sido resuelta, edita tu primer mensaje y añade [SOLUCIONADO] al título.

3Focus1
Level 1
Level 1

Postby 3Focus1 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:48 am

Hello!

When we select for install an application/ program using Software Manager, and checked synaptic package manager, but it does not appear on my machine ie Testdisk (showing installed on this machine), what should we consider?

Thank You!

desktop:
Mint 18.1 'Serena'
Cinnamon 32-bit

Spearmint2
Level 14
Level 14

Postby Spearmint2 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:53 pm

Testdisk is built into GParted's data recovery area now.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

sme
Level 1
Level 1

Postby sme » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:35 pm

HalIo,
I'm new in this forum and new with ubuntu/Mint (18).
I just got this message:

Code: Select all

The repository 'cdrom://Linux Mint 18 _Sarah_ - Release amd64 20160628 xenial Release' does not have a Release file.Data from such a repository can't be authenticated and is therefore potentially dangerous to use.See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.Fehlschlag beim Holen von cdrom://Linux Mint 18 _Sarah_ - Release amd64 20160628/dists/xenial/contrib/binary-amd64/Packages  Bitte verwenden Sie apt-cdrom, um APT diese CD-ROM bekannt zu machen. apt-get update kann nicht dazu verwendet werden, neue CD-ROMs hinzuzufügen.Einige Indexdateien konnten nicht heruntergeladen werden. Sie wurden ignoriert oder alte an ihrer Stelle benutzt.

What to do?

Spearmint2
Level 14
Level 14

Postby Spearmint2 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:28 pm

Open the update manager and uncheck the CDROM as a means of installing software from it.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

sme
Level 1
Level 1

Postby sme » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:50 pm

Thanks!

Eren24
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Eren24 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:38 pm

I have been using ubunto for the past 2 years now. I want to try this Linux Mint. I love having linux over my desktop because its fast and the lag is minimize. Thanks for this detailed software installation method. I am new to this forum and would love to learn mo a lot about linux. So bye for now and will reformat my PC and install Linux mint! Thank a lot!
An introvert kind of person loves to be with nature and see the beauty of the sea. Picturing out the usefulness of every training certificate I attended. For me, upgrading your knowledge makes you become a better person.

BeHarley
Level 1
Level 1

Postby BeHarley » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:43 am

Hey kudos to sharing this post! Thanks alot. :) :)

Sayanel
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Sayanel » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:55 am

Hey
In the original post, the link in Section 2.2, in the sentence

Usually you will find a .deb package for Ubuntu; those will work with Linux Mint (you can find the Ubuntu release on which your Linux Mint release is based here, in the "Package base" column, or ask on the forums for help on this).

is broken.
It redirects to https://www.linuxmint.com/oldreleases.php

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Postby xenopeek » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:15 pm

Thank you. Fixed :) Replaced the link with https://linuxmint.com/download_all.php.

Green-cedar-19+52

Postby Green-cedar-19+52 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:51 am

xenopeek,

Thank you for the article on "How to install software on Linux Mint."

greencedar

Return to “Newbie Questions”